PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's fine when you know your tobaccos well, have steady ambient humidity, plenty of experience, or just don't care to learn more.

zion

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Absolutely! I use a small hygrometer, place the tobacco to be measured in a Mason or Ball jar, wait about 24 hours, and take a reading. At 70º, you get a reading which can be converted to a moisture content equivalent. (Which I don't do, as what's the point?) Since almost no one has a moisture content reading instrument, a hygrometer is the next best thing, Can be had for five bucks or less.

With a few of these things in hand, you can dry multiple batches of tobacco, and be assured you're not over drying. You will have a good idea as to what is wet, dry or just right tobacco to load and smoke. I am always surprised to learn no one else does this.
Fantastic intel, thanks. We have folks at work who measure fuel moisture as they relate to wild land fire fuels and generate numbers that drive a lot of what we do. Fancy ovens and such, I just learned a new use for them. Thanks again for the intel.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
I heard about smokers heaven exotique before. I saw the link today and ordered some.
Excellent tobacco. I’d say it would appeal the many of the folks who liked the original Frog Morton. Not that they taste the same, but it’s more approachable than many English blends, so one might label it a crossover blend. Even more of a crossover is the similar Smokers’ Haven Cognac blend. Some have contended that they are the same tobaccos, but there are differences.

Smokers’ Haven Cognac is available for order right now here.

Reactions: craiginthecorn
Status
Not open for further replies.