PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
And then there's one B&M that keeps it all, marks it up and puts it i his "consignment section at 200+ bucks a bag. He needs to re-name his place, Scalpers-R-Us.

That's part of my problem when I look at something in my cellar. I'm like, "I can't smoke this. It's worth $200!" I wouldn't drink $200 bottle of wine when I'm very happy with a $10 one.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
That's part of my problem when I look at something in my cellar. I'm like, "I can't smoke this. It's worth $200!" I wouldn't drink $200 bottle of wine when I'm very happy with a $10 one.
Unless you plan to sell it, then just enjoy it regardless of the current value. I used to hold on to my expensive/rare beer for special occasions or to add just 1 more year of age or because it was rare or expensive. I realized that time was going by, things were accumulating, and I wasn't able to enjoy them. What's the point of accumulating if there won't actually be enough time to enjoy it? Well, I don't cellar beer any more and have been working through what I do have and enjoying it quite a bit, although some were past their prime. No special occasions needed. However, it is a lot of fun to pull out an expensive/rare/vintage bottle and share it with a friend. The best is surprising somebody new to the hobby with something that they never thought they would see or get to try.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
However, it is a lot of fun to pull out an expensive/rare/vintage bottle and share it with a friend. The best is surprising somebody new to the hobby with something that they never thought they would see or get to try.

Yeah, it all tastes better when you share. I've been starting to dig into some of my older stock. I do sell some things, only because it helps me pay for the other stuff I accumulate!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Agreed. I was looking fairly early and was unable to find any 8 oz bags listed as available at any online vendor and absolutely no Penzance in any offering.
That’s because they got sold without even being listed to the “valuable” customers.

Reactions: mountainman

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I didn’t even realize that Kingfisher was still being “produced”, I thought that blend was long gone. I’ve always heard it was “meh” but the obscurity is what makes it so alluring, we always want what we can’t have... I would definitely buy it if I had the option to get it for retail price cause I’m not immune to the trickery either.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I have not bought any Esoterica in 5 years. I am selling off what I do have because I cannot justify keeping/smoking it because I am honestly not all that crazy for any of it. I am also not going out hunting any to turn around and sell at a premium. Everything I am selling is the result of purchases I made years ago.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I didn’t even realize that Kingfisher was still being “produced”, I thought that blend was long gone. I’ve always heard it was “meh” but the obscurity is what makes it so alluring, we always want what we can’t have... I would definitely buy it if I had the option to get it for retail price cause I’m not immune to the trickery either.
I smoked a tin that was a rehydration project and it was definitely meh. Not sure how good it would be fresh.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Yeah, it all tastes better when you share. I've been starting to dig into some of my older stock. I do sell some things, only because it helps me pay for the other stuff I accumulate!
The neighbor that got me into this hobby did so by sharing aged Penzance without telling me what it was. Even if he had, I would have had no idea what he was talking about at the time. I enjoyed the blend a lot and really appreciated his generosity. He was nearly out of Penzance in that jar and it would be nice to get some more to share back to him someday, but it's nearly impossible to just go out and buy without knowing the super secret dates, locations, and passwords along with having a fresh gold bar to exchange for some.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't buy blends to hold and sell. I buy them to smoke. So the fact that someone is willing to pay hundreds of dollars for something that I bought for $12 doesn't matter to me. If I want that flavor, I'll open that tin.

If the day comes that I have to stop enjoying my pipes and tobaccos, then I'll sell them for what the market will bear, assuming that I can still sell them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dare I ask--is that it? It's over? Until. . .the next two-six hour window sometime in winter?

Having last bought Esoterica on a regular basis back in that golden age when, yes, gasp. . . tins, even bags if you can believe it, of Penzance and Stonehaven--my own favorites just like everyone else-- might remain openly displayed and available for purchase for months.

Or is this how a "drop" works? . . . with little advance warning, at least as I imagine it, a fleet of unmarked armored Brinks trucks simultaneously pulls up at comparative handful of selected retailers across the continent, and in dead of night unloads the season's small (and somewhat random) stock. And accordingly I must now abandon all hope that a single bag or tin of either of these two might still turn up somewhere over the next few days.
Drops happen over a period of time. Were I still looking, I'd call one of my sources. Right now, it's out there in the wild, at B&M's with little to no internet presence. Sometimes the stuff sits on shelves for weeks.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find it unfair. What if I plan to purchase as a “lifelong customer” and this could be the “lifelong customer’s” last purchase? A poor strategy to stay afloat these days.
but you haven't yet. The other guys already providing stable support for their business. You know there are so many people that could love any of us like our wives (or girlfriends), but that doesn't matter because we already have someone that does. Similar concept in my opinion.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
but you haven't yet. The other guys already providing stable support for their business. You know there are so many people that could love any of us like our wives (or girlfriends), but that doesn't matter because we already have someone that does. Similar concept in my opinion.
Haha not similar at all IMo but ok.
businesses need new customers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can see that. It’s just frustrating when everything is sold out from under you before it’s even available for sale.
You can also put yourself on a waiting list at Iwan Reis. Unlike other stores who shall remain nameless, they'll hold a bag several days for you to purchase. It might be a bit of a wait. When I got my notice it must have been a couple of years since I'd put myself on the wait list. It sure paid off. Not only did I get the bag of Penzance, but I also had the opportunity to pick up two bags of Stonehaven, all invisible to the public. The two bags of Stonehaven was a nice surprise, and zeroed out the two bags that I had given away.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You can also put yourself on a waiting list at Iwan Reis. Unlike other stores who shall remain nameless, they'll hold a bag several days for you to purchase. It might be a bit of a wait. When I got my notice it must have been a couple of years since I'd put myself on the wait list. It sure paid off. Not only did I get the bag of Penzance, but I also had the opportunity to pick up two bags of Stonehaven, all invisible to the public. The two bags of Stonehaven was a nice surprise, and zeroed out the two bags that I had given away.
I’ve been on the list... hopefully!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I used to be a member of some Esoterica groups on various social media platforms. The more fanatical members will buy literally any esoterica blend they can get their hands on, even if it's not a style of tobacco they smoke. I'd love some more Penzance, but am just not interested in dealing with the troubles of getting some and won't pay scalper prices out of principle.