PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
just tasted dorchester which might have been approx 20 years old from a sealed tin.

anyone who has smoked the old able to compare to a current fresh tin ??
this old batch flavor was spectacular.
will order some but wanted to get an idea what to expect from newer batches.
they also had some old penzance but did not try it - no sense if can never get any.
thanks

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Is there any place that does pipe tastings, like wine tastings :?:
Sorry not helpful in anyway to your question but wouldnt it be nice.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I've had some Dorchester from this year, and I liked it a lot.

I can't imagine what some 20 year old stuff would taste like.

Dec 24, 2012
I really like the stuff. I don't get a ton of perique from it, but I do get the most interesting apricot taste when I smoke it. Am I the only one?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
smokertruck wrote:
"they also had some old penzance but did not try it - no sense if can never get any."
No sense? This is like saying, "I'm not going to have a glass of this 1961 Chateau Margaux because I'll never be able to find or afford another bottle." Why in the world wouldn't you want to try it just to have the experience of sampling it? It's baffling to me why you would deny yourself the education and the experience -- let alone the pleasure -- of a bowl of Penzance simply because you don't think you could repeat it in the future.
Besides, Penzance isn't any harder to get than Dorchester is; both are still in production and both are often out of stock.
Bob

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
apricot at the beginning, soon it turns to a deeper and richer smoke after the first 3rd bowl. For the right pipe, the last 3rd bowl taste like a dream. The first few bowls were not as good, so I put it aside and it started to bloom after a few months of waiting.
My very best smoking experience was a bowl of Dorchester in a big Boris Starkov full bent apple, the tin was opened 3 months before.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
here in canada or at least in ontario not allowed samples - not even from a bulk jar - cant even light up in a tobacco shop.
yes you are correct should have tried it - maybe will be some remaining next session

Status
Not open for further replies.