PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Today is the first day of my 4 day weekend and I decided to crack open an 8 oz bag of Dorchester to enjoy down at the local B&M. This will be my first time sampling Dorchester. I have been on a huge Escudo binge lately and am excited to see how the two compare.
First Impression: Wow. This stuff looks and smells amazing. Strong scent of figs and raisin. Like a deep berry. Honestly made my mouth water. Also interesting to note is that there appears to be crystallization already forming on the unbroken flakes.
I will post a review after a few bowls but thought I'd throw some pics up in the meantime.
Those of you who have had Dorchester, what are your thoughts? Can't wait to see how it ages.
My Winslow 300 with Dorchester...

IMG_1150_zps96bac776.jpg

Dorchester pic...

IMG_1151_zps5580436f.jpg

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
You have chosen wisely. Absolutely wonderful tobac. I have three tins of Dorchester, one I've been nursing along for a couple months, only smoke it for a real treat. The other two tins are aging in the cellar, and I hope I can resist opening them anytime soon.
I'm surprised to see large flakes in your pics. Maybe the tinned tobacco is rubbed out more finely, as mine is. The color is light and lemony, and the flavor is just superb. I wish it wasn't so hard to find in stock. I keep looking and someday I'll score an eight ounce bag.
Enjoy!

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Actually talked to a cigar shop that went through 6 bags of Stonehaven a couple week ago. Penzance too. Wish I had been in the ball.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I love Dorchester. I received samples from a fine member here, with Dorchester being among them. A tobacco that tastes quite aged as it is. I will definitely be buying an 8oz bag or 3 when I can find it. I haven't had anything Esoterica that I disliked. Smoken Dunbar(another sample from another fine member) last night, and was greatly impressed with it as well.

B

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
mrjerke - very interested in your impressions once you have a few bowls under your belt. I have jarred some Dorchester, but have yet to smoke any of it. The tin note was strong apricot to me, but that has calmed down a bit with some time in a jar. I have also mixed up a batch of 50/50 Margate and Dorchester, as many have noted that Margate is a very nice blender with a good Virgina-based blend (although the fruit of the Dorchester and the smoky funk of the Margate did not initially seem like a good fit, they have married a bit in the jar). I have another batch of 50/50 Margate/FVF "melding" as well. Alas, no tasting notes for either yet as I wanted to give them a few months together before I tried them out. Maybe this weekend...
I noticed in the other Esoterica (availability complaint) topic started today that you picked up some Margate, so I thought I might mention my blending experiments. Margate by itself is very interesting, but it is more of a dry, incense-like smoke without a lot of underlying sweetness - hence my trials with adding some Virginia to the mix. I do like Margate straight - it is definitely unique.
Dunbar is supposedly very similar to Dorchester, but a bit stronger and spicier. I nabbed a bag of that from SP today and look forward to trying it. Lots of great blends out there to try...

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Bad timing for me this month. I saw Dunbar was in stock at SP.com, and I probably was a little too late to see Dorchester in stock. This has been an expensive summer and fall, $7K for a new roof, so I'll have to wait till the next round comes in to pick some up. I'll have to skip both my Nov, and Dec TAD.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
REVIEW
Note: I had to wait until I had at least 5 bowls as I feel it is not fair to judge a tobacco until trying it in different pipes and attempting to fully grasp the blend. For this review I used a Mark Tinsky Canadian, a Tsuge Triangle 603, and a Winslow Crown 300 Bent Apple.
Description: A special formulation of six light Virginias plus Golden and Dark Virginias with air-cured leaf and a pinch of Louisiana Perique. Easy burning is ensured by the carefully selected cut. The Perique balances the Virginias with a hint of spice for the discerning palate.
Tin Note: Heavy dose of fruitiness commonly described as figs or apricots. The smell is so good I want to bury my face in it...and not come up for air. The tobacco itself looks amazing with just the right amount of moisture. I smoked it right from the package as well as drying it for up to an hour before the smoke. Drying the tobacco seemed to benefit the smoke very little IMO.
The Smoke: Very fruity up front. The smoke is full and velvety and a pleasure to puff on. The best way I can describe it is deep. The Perique for me layed in the back until further into the smoke. As the bowl continued the fruit gave way to a more prominent Perique spice. Towards the end I got a creamy, almost buttery note.

Overall:
I did not find the nicotine to be as heavy as some have commented. I routinely inhaled through the nose and consider this to be a fantastic all day smoke. Dorchester has quickly moved to the top of my rotation. Amazing stuff that I have no problem searching high and low for. The work is worth the reward.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I had to wait until I had at least 5 bowls as I feel it is not fair to judge a tobacco until trying it in different pipes and attempting to fully grasp the blend.
I applaud your comment on waiting till you've become familiar with a blend.
Great review, and I agree with it almost completely. I fell nicotine in the top of my stomach, like a hiccup (niccup) is coming on. I get it with only a few blends I've tried and Dorchester is one of them.
Thanks, and enjoy your smoke.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Thanks Werdna. Was my first attempt at a review. Waited until 6 months of almost daily pipe smoking before I thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
For some reason the nicotine in Dorchester does not seem to get to me. On the other hand I've had a few bowls of Solani 633 that knocked me on my arse.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Dorchester is very tasty and I prefer it to Dunbar which is a little too strong for me.

Dec 24, 2012
Dorchester is fantastic stuff, no question. I have added a bunch to the cellar in recent months and will buy a bit more if I can find it.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have a little bit of this squirreld away in the cellar, I was very surprised by the deep berry aromas.
It is a wonderfully flavorful smole!

liltoast

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Very good review and makes me want to go back and try it again. I am a huge fan of Dunbar but not so much on Dorchester, was just a tad too sweetish for me, but I'm definitely going to give it another go, it's been almost a year since I've opened the jar. Many thanks for review!

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Much appreciated sir. I just received a bag of Dunbar and will be posting a review in the days to come. Pics included of course.
I will also be doing a full review on Kingsbridge, which does not receive a lot of fanfare, but I found extremely enjoyable upon trying last night.

prairie59

Lurker
Oct 31, 2009
Raymore, MO
Now, I am just tasting some new tobaccos and I have enjoyed the sampling thing I do. And you all start talking about Dorchester and I have been so faithful in keeping it back for something special. Dang it that 8 oz. bag has been hiding in my baccy cellar and I may have to pop it open now. Thanks and I do mean thanks.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Just bought a tin of this at my local brick & mortar. I've had two bowls but so far I think this might be a new favorite from the Esoterca line. I also got And So To Bed and Margate which I've had a 5 years ago. Probably won't be opening those until winter comes.

Anyone know what VA's are in Dorchester? The description says six light Va's and golden and dark VA's but I don't really know what that means.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have just added 2 tins. I'll open one after it has a few months on it. I still have a tin of Penzance and a whole bag of Margate still to go through.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
DORCHESTER - smoked a few bowls from a tin at least 10 years old - intensely tastier than a bag (or tin) a few months old !! didnt get any tins.

the 10 year tin was so air tight that after 10 years when opened a strong sound of suction was heard.

the color was a rich orange & intense aroma. the flavor was totally completely awesome - a rich flavor much more intense than one aged a few months.

i have several bags of dorchester jarred a few months - i smoke from a small jar the rest i shall wait a few years unless i kick the bucket - ( 70+)

not sure how good aging is in that bag compared to a jar - not sure if upon receiving a current batch, the flavor from a bag is even as intense as from a new tin,

anyways that flavor after 10 years cant be described !!! - i did think that a current batch would be close - didnt get any tins only bags - but that bag was no where close !!!
jar it for a few years !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.