PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I just saw that GHC released a ready rubbed version of Ennerdale.

It occurs to me that this might be a response to recent complaints about lower saucing. If they top a ready rubbed version, presumably the sauce would find more purchase -- more surface area to cover. Right?

I bought a pound of the flake shortly after the sauce dropped off. I jarred it all and have barely touched it since, it was such a disappointment. So I'm not really about to buy this new version, yet.

But if some of you wind up reporting that it tastes like Ennerdale used to, I'll be glad to buy some if it's still available.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’m curious too.

Theoretically it’s just broken up flakes so the “saucing” should have already taken place, while in flake form, right?

Calling all scientists! We need answers. Experiments.

If it’s actually sauced after the flakes are broken up, this theory should be correct. If before, not so much, unless there’s something else at play.

Curious minds want (need) to know.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Debbie downer here... but I took it in a negative 'self defense marketing context.' Meaning I suspect they can/will say "... Oh well it's broken up in the bag now so air may have dried out and reduced the sauce potency ... but trust us we're still saucing it." My suspicions only but I didn't buy when alerted either. Could be better who knows. I too await some new reviews of this drop.

Reactions: pantsBoots and SBC

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Could you explain? Must have missed that?
Here’s the thread. I’m pretty sure this is not the reason though. I was just being a bit silly.

Appayipyip

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
USA - midwest
Any updates on this regarding the sauce ? I had some Ennerdale flake, which I picked up a few months ago in late 2022, for the first time. It was delicious but I did not really get the floral perfume notes everyone usually talks about when they talk about lakelands. Tasted like a good tobacco otherwise.

I also picked up some bosun cut plug, Kendal flake , #7 broken flake and coniston. Haven’t had a chance to try those yet, but do the “sauce” reductions people have talked about apply to these blends as well?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Oct 7, 2016
I have some on the way. Curiosity got the best of me. I should have it Monday or Tuesday and I'll give an opinion. I'm hoping it has more topping than the flake.
Doubtful
The topping on Ennerdale hasn't changed over the 35 years I have been smoking it. There are prolific posters who claim otherwise, here and on other forums, but I strongly disagree. The predominant flavor is a good bit less floral than any number of GH blends, such as Brown Flake Aromatic, Kendal Flake, etc., particularly those that use tonquin flavoring, which isn't in Ennerdale. I get almonds fruit, vanilla and a much sweeter overall smoke than other GH blends. The distinctive Rose Geranium floral taste is in there somewhere, but definitely in the background for me. As it has always been. ALWAYS.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Doubtful
The topping on Ennerdale hasn't changed over the 35 years I have been smoking it. There are prolific posters who claim otherwise, here and on other forums, but I strongly disagree. The predominant flavor is a good bit less floral than any number of GH blends, such as Brown Flake Aromatic, Kendal Flake, etc., particularly those that use tonquin flavoring, which isn't in Ennerdale. I get almonds fruit, vanilla and a much sweeter overall smoke than other GH blends. The distinctive Rose Geranium floral taste is in there somewhere, but definitely in the background for me. As it has always been. ALWAYS.
I'm sure you are correct. I've read the posts you are referring to and other posts that allude to the mixture being more aromatic. Curiosity got to me so I figured I'd see for myself. I end up with more Ennerdale, so it’s a win win.

Oct 7, 2016
I've read the posts you are referring to and other posts that allude to the mixture being more aromatic
More Aromatic, in the sense of more flavorings, is spot on. That doesn't equate to "more Lakeland." Whatever that is. Tobacco Reviews has a total of 242 blends listed for GH. They all qualify as Lakelands in my book, since they are made in the UK Lake District. But they don’t all taste like Grannies Panties, urinal cakes, or the other pejorative terms that dominated discussions of their products just a relatively few years ago.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I posted about this before. The Ennerdale Mixture is heavily sauced. I have no experience with the current flake but the mixture (ready rubbed) is every bit as sauced as the flake was back in 2016. I would be absolutely be amazed if people thought it didn’t have enough top dressing. I first bought 2 oz, to test it out, I’ve since bought 500 grams. It’s very potent, any more flavor would be too much.

IMG_5165.jpeg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm over here scratching my head as to why they're calling it a "mixture"...
Yeah, it’s essentially the flake that they don’t have to care for to keep in perfect flake form. It’s just the flake dumped in a bag or the bottom of the barrel so to speak. I’ve bought flake tobacco that was more of a mixture than the picture I posted above. Either way, if this isn’t enough sauce for people, I don’t know what to tell you.