PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I haven't found a tobacco as approachable, delicious, and versatile as Ennerdale Flake.

The nose is strong on this one. Perfume. That's it. And that's all it needs to be. And like perfume when applied to the skin it becomes more complex once lit and paired with the season, the weather, drink, or cadence. In my opinion, no matter the pairing Ennerdale Flake holds its own working to somehow be the perfect companion by expertly accentuating certain elements of itself over others. Hot, rainy, cold, doesn't matter. Morning, night, on the patio or by the water. With coffee, water, beer.

I am constantly impressed by how complex it is. So far these are the distinct flavors I've noticed and am able to attach a word to. Almond, cherry, spice (not sure which), and smoked cheese. It is also very earthy at times, but I swear can be as fluffy and sweet as the scent of a marshmallow for very brief moments. Now, this isn't one you have to sit down and analyze either. I've clenched and gotten to work and its delightfully simple when it needs to be. It speaks when spoken to sort of thing. But I'm excited to keep figuring out this ones secrets.

It rubs out easy, lights easy, and burns easy. Will warm up if pushed but you have to try to do that. Also the wife thought the scent she smelled was the coffee so that's a huge plus.

They say you love it or hate it. But I wonder if it's an acquired taste.

I blended mine with CD Virginia flake with a splash of their Red cavendish also. I wanted more tobacco flavor with mine, and this is my favorite in this form. This way, I only have to deal with aromatic qualities in tge first half of the bowl, and the other half it takes a backseat to the natural tobacco flavors.
By itself, it’s just too aromatic for me.
But, I’m glad you like it.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Nice review. Definitely a favorite. Lately I have been smoking exclusively Bosun, Coniston, Kendal Flake and Bobs Square cut. Bosun and Coniston are the ones I come back to most. Kendal is a great companion to Ennerdale but you don’t really hear about it. I think GH sauce has been up and down recently. Either way, Ennerdale is one of my top keepers.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Ennerdale is stellar, but has recently taken a back seat for bosun plug. I like that bosun’s aromatic note changes through the bowl, and you can still taste the tobacco the whole time. Not saying it’s better, just better for me.
How do you prefer to prep the Bosun Plug? I have some jarred and I'm itching to try it

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Never tried bosun, the clove oil idea repels me as i think it’s a flavour that can go really bad really fast.
Ennerdale is good, but i prefer dark flake scented as it’s less complex yet equally powerful, therefore tastes more consistent to me. Conniston is also great as the saucing is softer and to me, sweeter than ennerdale’s.

Reactions: saltedplug

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Never tried bosun, the clove oil idea repels me as i think it’s a flavour that can go really bad really fast.
Ennerdale is good, but i prefer dark flake scented as it’s less complex yet equally powerful, therefore tastes more consistent to me. Conniston is also great as the saucing is softer and to me, sweeter than ennerdale’s.
You’d be surprised bro. I find the clove kinda sits between the intense floral and the tobacco flavour, and offers a subtle contrast. You know how much I love dfs, and bosun is even preferable to that for me as well. That being said, I did leave some out for a day or two and let it go crispy. The rose geranium flavour had disappeared and all I got was clove.

64alex

May 10, 2016
I read Kendal is heavily topped but haven't had it. Any good?
IMO Kendal flake has the strongest Lakeland sauce along with SG Cannon plug. It is different from Ennerdale with the latter being more Almond\fruity note and the Kendal with Ennerdale undertone with added floral/spicy tone. They are both great and from the mood I prefer one or the other.

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Working through 2oz of fresh Kendal Flake now. I don’t let this dry but for a minute immediately after fully rubbing out. I want all that saucy goodness! IMO it is a superb afternoon smoke with coffee or sweet tea. Haven’t made it to my tin of Ennerdale yet, so can’t provide an objective comparison, but Kendal Flake stands on its own as superb highly scented flake.