PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I don’t want to start a brawl but you Lakeland freaks should be institutionalized! ?

What is wrong with the lot of you? It’s nasty and tastes like cheap gin. It’s unfit for human consumption and there’s something profoundly wrong with everyone who likes this dreadful concoction.

Look, the whole Lakeland ‘essence’ was a joke that originated in England, just to see how far they could pull the wool over your eyes and it’s looking to me like they’ve succeeded spectacularly!

Shame on you all who’ve allowed them to get away with this absurd lark. ?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I don’t want to start a brawl but you Lakeland freaks should be institutionalized! ?

What is wrong with the lot of you? It’s nasty and tastes like cheap gin. It’s unfit for human consumption and there’s something profoundly wrong with everyone who likes this dreadful concoction.

Look, the whole Lakeland ‘essence’ was a joke that originated in England, just to see how far they could pull the wool over your eyes and it’s looking to me like they’ve succeeded spectacularly!

Hey it's not our fault your palate isn't as refined as ours :ROFLMAO: nana

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

Out of curiosity, do you like curries? Any kind: Thai, Indian or otherwise? Or is a burger, skip the onion and mustard, more your level? I'm testing out a theory of mine.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Now, to decide which poor cob is going to get sacrificed to these flakes of gas station incense. And to work up the nerve to fire it up.........
If you search this site you will find a very similar post from me a few years ago. In fact I posted many anti-Lakeland posts. I even gave my stash to the Captain here.

Now I love the stuff. Tastes change.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If you search this site you will find a very similar post from me a few years ago. In fact I posted many anti-Lakeland posts. I even gave my stash to the Captain here.

Now I love the stuff. Tastes change.
Haha when i posted that it was on tin (or rather bag note) first impression. I liked the smoke right outta the gate. Even have a lakeland dedicated briar now.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
I love them!!! ?

Thai, delightful!
Curries, delicious!
Sushi, OMG unreal slap-yo-granny good!

?
Well, there goes my theory. I thought that the people who are attracted to over the top Lakeland florals are those who like over the top food flavors, as in spicy curries and very hot foods. But you proved me wrong. Sushi, I consider bland (though not the ginger or wasabi), albeit very nuanced, unless the fish is not fresh!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Well, there goes my theory. I thought that the people who are attracted to over the top Lakeland florals are those who like over the top food flavors, as in spicy curries and very hot foods. But you proved me wrong. Sushi, I consider bland (though not the ginger or wasabi), albeit very nuanced, unless the fish is not fresh!

I’m very largely just joking here. Truly though, I gave Lakeland a shot years ago and hated it. I honestly don’t even recall the blend, I just remember it being one of the popular G&H blends.

That said, I’ve promised @BROBS I’ll give it another go, so he sent me an old tin of Squadron Leader. As soon as the weather changes (rain, rain, rain, wind and cold) I’m going to crack the tin on it. I’ve got a lot of new blends waiting on the weather ?

?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU

When it comes to food &tobaccies, we perhaps better keep in mind that traditionally Brits did have something 'peculiar tastes, especially the said is quite a widespread opinion among the Frenchmen,lol

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Hmm... From what I recall, Lakeland was like inhaling some wretched “French lady of the evening” perfume. ??‍♂️

Like @npod says, tastes do indeed change/evolve, and I’ve made a promise to my man @BROBS, so I’m going to give the Squadron Leader a fair and genuine try. ?
But SL is barely Lakeland! It's like -1 in a scale of 1 to 10! For the scent of a Victorian lady of the night, SG version, go for Sam's Flake. I'd say it's 7 out of 10. ?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
When it comes to food &tobaccies, we perhaps better keep in mind that traditionally Brits did have something 'peculiar tastes, especially the said is quite a widespread opinion among the Frenchmen,lol
That's why they conquered the world no? To get some taste in their food! The sun never set on the British Empire! ??‍♀️

Jun 9, 2018
England
When I first tried Ennerdale I did what everyone does and took a big sniff and got what most people do, granny's sweaty knickers after a particularly vigorous spinning class. To be honest I wasn't particularly looking forward to smoking the 10g I had bought but after the first bowl I thought "Oh not too bad".
Fast forward another few bowls and the 10g was gone and I was..... IN LOVE!
I immediately bought another 50g and have never looked back. It's always in my rotation and I adore the stuff! It's just so different to anything else, although I understand perfectly why others don't like it.
BTW I've only ever bought the bulk but after reading on here that the tinned is slightly stronger I'll definitely have to try that next.
Hopefully some of the plug turns up at some point. I think maybe the last lot was a special order by Glynn Quelch when he ran GQ Tobaccos? I know he did the same sort of special order with Samuel Gawith Cabbie's mixture, ie it was an uncut rope.
Anyway you owe it to yourself to try Ennerdale at least once, although I believe in America you can't buy just a 10g sample so it is a bit of a gamble.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I first tried Ennerdale I did what everyone does and took a big sniff and got what most people do, granny's sweaty knickers after a particularly vigorous spinning class.
The smell most describe is the scent of floral sachets often used in wardrobes and drawers to scent clothing. I got a heavy bergamot potpourri smell.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The smell most describe is the scent of floral sachets often used in wardrobes and drawers to scent clothing. I got a heavy bergamot potpourri smell.
I didn't care for the smell as much as the taste when I first smoked it but now I love both.
When I first inhaled the scent I definitely got that granny knicker draw mixed with used urinal cake vibe.
BTW please don't ask me how I know what those two things smell like as what I get up to in my own time is my business:oops:

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
When I first tried Ennerdale I did what everyone does and took a big sniff and got what most people do, granny's sweaty knickers after a particularly vigorous spinning class. To be honest I wasn't particularly looking forward to smoking the 10g I had bought but after the first bowl I thought "Oh not too bad".
Fast forward another few bowls and the 10g was gone and I was..... IN LOVE!
I immediately bought another 50g and have never looked back. It's always in my rotation and I adore the stuff! It's just so different to anything else, although I understand perfectly why others don't like it.
BTW I've only ever bought the bulk but after reading on here that the tinned is slightly stronger I'll definitely have to try that next.
Hopefully some of the plug turns up at some point. I think maybe the last lot was a special order by Glynn Quelch when he ran GQ Tobaccos? I know he did the same sort of special order with Samuel Gawith Cabbie's mixture, ie it was an uncut rope.

Woe, woe, woe...slow down! Cabbies mixture ROPE...have they gone mad!!!

Yes, in for several pounds of that puppy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.