PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Some time ago, we crafted a "Lakeland Scale" to pool our collective knowledge.

For those just beginning to enjoy these blends, this thread may be helpful.

1718162945919.png

LingerMore

Lurker
Jun 1, 2024
Lafayette, CO

View attachment 316723
Thanks for the link. I am a newb trying to sort out what I like and I like Ennerdale. The love/hate descriptions of it just made me want to try it for myself. I am glad I did. I am looking forward to trying more tobacco of all kinds. Though maybe not a lot of Latakia, but I shall keep an open mind.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK

View attachment 316723
Thanks for that. My perceptions are at such variance here - the No.7 Broken Flake I have I'd put at 11, Rich Dark Honeydew / Spring Dew 2, RB Plug 1, Ennerdale 6....

I hadn't actually thought much about it, just read the term "Lakeland Sauce", but putting names to faces is interesting. Also makes me wonder where St Bruno or Condor would sit in the scale.

Reactions: jbfrady

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
On a taste-based scale, Ennerdale is roughly equivalent to Capstan Yellow, plus aromas for your passersby. It's subtle, light, and, once more... unimposing. It's not the greatest smoke in the world, and I couldn't in good conscience recommend it to beginners in flake form, but it represents a defining line of old. If it's better than Ennerdale, then it's a fine aromatic. If it's worse than Ennerdale, then it isn't worth repurchasing. This blend is a veritable benchmark, and that's why I'd give it a 4 on a 5 scale. Because when you run out... "Fuck."
I think you got a new tin. Old Ennerdale was nothing like you describe. Nothing like Capstan Yellow plus aromas either. Generally G&H flavoured tobaccos were/are: STRONG flavouring over good tobacco. Now the community suggests it's weak flavouring over good tobacco. I don't know because a lot of my own stash is a bit older. Personally I always preferred Coniston Cut Plug, Bosun Cut Plug, Dark Flake Scented and 1792 Flake over Ennerdale.

Edit: @jaytex1969's sauce scale thread should be preserved for the ages.

Reactions: mingc and jbfrady

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@BingBong: RB Plug does not use Rose Geranium which begets the famous 'Lake Land' thing. I have a fair amount of early 2000s RB Plug and the general view from my side of the table is that it tastes like incense from your local church. The essence used in the plug was something called Cheviot which has a sweet and woody profile. I have no idea what the Gawith Oompa Loompa's have done with the sauce recently but the stuff made in 2000s was pretty impressive but as is often noted on here YMMV.

Reactions: mingc

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
@BingBong: RB Plug does not use Rose Geranium which begets the famous 'Lake Land' thing. I have a fair amount of early 2000s RB Plug and the general view from my side of the table is that it tastes like incense from your local church. The essence used in the plug was something called Cheviot which has a sweet and woody profile. I have no idea what the Gawith Oompa Loompa's have done with the sauce recently but the stuff made in 2000s was pretty impressive but as is often noted on here YMMV.
My abiding impression is of root ginger - a nice smoke, I have a piece knocking around.

Reactions: mingc and jbfrady

ThomasS

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Ah, that explains things. I just got a tin of (new) Ennerdale because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I put it in a little clay pipe ... and continued to wonder what all the fuss was about. I was bracing myself for Hendrick's Floral Gin but all I got was "slightly perfumy navy flake" out of it - nothing overwhelming though certainly a bit odd.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Now I know what I'll be smoking tonight. Ennerdale!
Ah, that explains things. I just got a tin of (new) Ennerdale because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I put it in a little clay pipe ... and continued to wonder what all the fuss was about. I was bracing myself for Hendrick's Floral Gin but all I got was "slightly perfumy navy flake" out of it - nothing overwhelming though certainly a bit odd.
Damn. Wish they would bring back the heavy sauce like I hear it used to be.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
That's a candid photo of me after "enjoying" Kajun Kake
Funny you should say that. My cousin recently came back from the States and I got him to bring me a tin of this back. Big mistake. A good tobacco destroyed by spice. Fantastic tin art though. But I think even the alligators would turn their snouts up at this stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: jbfrady

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
Love Ennerdale and Grousemoor (two of the Lakelands that get a lot of flak). I have a trio of Morgan Bones pipes that I use only for Lakelands, with one dedicated solely to 1792 flake. I took to Ennerdale from the very first puff, and the same can be said for 1792, Conniston, Bosun, and good 'ole scented Kendal flake. The two I don't care for are the ones that seem the most sought: Full Virginia flake and St. James flake. FVF just doesn't do anything for me and St. James just reminds me that I still have a few tins of Stonehenge floating around somewhere that I haven't been tempted to open due to liking other VaPers so much more. Pipers have got to decide for themselves what they like and ignore negative (and positive) comments from others.

LingerMore

Lurker
Jun 1, 2024
Lafayette, CO
Love Ennerdale and Grousemoor (two of the Lakelands that get a lot of flak). I have a trio of Morgan Bones pipes that I use only for Lakelands, with one dedicated solely to 1792 flake. I took to Ennerdale from the very first puff, and the same can be said for 1792, Conniston, Bosun, and good 'ole scented Kendal flake. The two I don't care for are the ones that seem the most sought: Full Virginia flake and St. James flake. FVF just doesn't do anything for me and St. James just reminds me that I still have a few tins of Stonehenge floating around somewhere that I haven't been tempted to open due to liking other VaPers so much more. Pipers have got to decide for themselves what they like and ignore negative (and positive) comments from others.
Well said.

Reactions: filmguerilla

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For a real aromatic treat & the tobacco equivalent of a sugar high, mix Ennerdale & Molto Dolce/Créme Brulee in equal parts.
Had that with pre 2019 Ennerdale, the strong stuff, at work tonight. Very nice indeed.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Now I know what I'll be smoking tonight. Ennerdale!

Damn. Wish they would bring back the heavy sauce like I hear it used to be.
There was nothing like it. Today's iteration is like calling Presbyterian Mixture, Pirate Kake.

Reactions: eljimmy

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Look for some from before 2019. Absolutely no tobacco taste whatsoever.