PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
The two I don't care for are the ones that seem the most sought: Full Virginia flake and St. James flake. FVF just doesn't do anything for me and St. James just reminds me that I still have a few tins of Stonehenge floating around somewhere that I haven't been tempted to open due to liking other VaPers so much more. Pipers have got to decide for themselves what they like and ignore negative (and positive) comments from others.
They are both b!tches to smoke and enjoy, I'd made a post here a few years ago about how StJames Flake was the most annoying experience ever. I personally let both dry to "freshly bone dry" as ChasingEmbers had accurately put it, or if plug form I cube cut it to the size of small lentils and let them dry until they feel like birdshot, then they are amazing smokes.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
They are both b!tches to smoke and enjoy, I'd made a post here a few years ago about how StJames Flake was the most annoying experience ever. I personally let both dry to "freshly bone dry" as ChasingEmbers had accurately put it, or if plug form I cube cut it to the size of small lentils and let them dry until they feel like birdshot, then they are amazing smokes.
I've gone to the opposite extreme, stuffing moist unrubbed flake in the bowl and getting them lit on the 5th attempt - then really enjoying them. With St James, I have to tear the flake across the grain to ensure perique - or wrap it around a thin slice of plug.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I've gone to the opposite extreme, stuffing moist unrubbed flake in the bowl and getting them lit on the 5th attempt - then really enjoying them. With St James, I have to tear the flake across the grain to ensure perique - or wrap it around a thin slice of plug.
Same. I'm not one to dry tobacco. I just roll it up, stuff it, and light it.

Reactions: Sgetz and BingBong

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I smoke the flavoured Gawith flakes as they come, and they somehow manage to burn well.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
I just opened a jar of the bulk flake after sealing it up for a couple of years and I had forgotten how good it tastes. I wish there was something that compared to it. I get these moments where it tastes just like Jordan Almonds, one of my favorite snacks.

Reactions: LingerMore