PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Afternoon chaps.

I'm not a lover at all of aromatics. I just don't get on with them. It seems though, all the blends I buy are spicy. Now I don't mind this but I don't particularly want that pepper tang every smoke.

Bearing in mind I'm ltd to uk purchases, which non aro blends could you suggest that are not spicy or peppery?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I equate spicey/peppery with perique and some orientals. (But it very much depends on the orientals. For me, Basma-forward blends are deliciously sweet, Yenidje is more like incense, Drama and Smyrna a bit more acrid to my palate.) I think you'd be best served by blends that have no perique whatsoever and focus on lighter orientals (or have no orientals at all).
The whole range of Virginias and Virginia/Burley flakes is open to you. Unless you can better identify which tobaccos are giving you problems, I think you're absolutely safe to explore any of the straight Virginias and Virginia/Burley flakes from McClelland, Rattray, Pease, etc. Just avoid any that also contain perique.
I don't think I've ever heard latakia described as peppery/spicey, but that might also be behind your perceptions. If that's the case, you might appreciate a lighter English that puts more focus on the Virginias and keeps the orientals and latakias in the background. (I tend to avoid these, though, so I don't have any good suggestions.)
I hesitate to give many recommendations beyond the biggest companies, since I have no idea what's available in the UK. Anyone else?
Bob

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
+1 with Rmbittner, avoid Perique. This is the tobacco generally known for producing a peppery flavor. Also as others have stated above, try some Virginia only or Virginia/Burley blends, as these will be the least "spicy" tobaccos. I won't recommend any single tobacco, as I have no idea what tobaccos you have access to, but do your homework and lookup the content of those you do have available and you should be able to find a tobacco that suits your palette.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
How experienced are you as a pipe smoker? I ask as it may also be some of your technique that is causing the "pepper" flavor. When I first started and even still now if I push a blend to hard I would end up with a peppery type spice. I felt it was the various blends I was smoking so I got a few different types of blends with the same result. I have now changed my smoking style and do not get this anymore but on occasion. Primarily when I am having trouble keeping a particular blend lit.
If your smoking technique is not your issue then the above recommendation are the way to go.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm not sure what blends you can get over there but I'd suggest you look at Dunhill Early Morning, Dunhill 965 and Villiger 1888 Early Morning. I don't find any of those to be peppery as I don't think they contain Perique.
Also if possible if you can import from the USA I'd absolutely suggest Hearth & Home's Black House and Hearth & Home's Magnum Opus. They are both fantastic Balkan style blends.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Petersons Irish Oak is a nice smoke. As is Dunhill Royal Yacht, don't know if either would be described as an aro though...

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
+1 Frog Morton
I've smoked only the Cellar version so far and it was amazing. It's what got me started trying English style blends. I can't believe I didn't think of that in my first post.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Thanks gents for all your replays. It sounds like in a nutshell it's the perique. As it was squadron leader and germain 1820 that were the culprits but not a problem. I like it. Just not all the time.

I've only been smoking 7 weeks but I'm pretty dedicated lol up to 10 bowls a day.

Kris I have EMP and Irish oak and your correct. They are not peppery. What I'd like is something similar to these two but a little stronger all round. Flavour, taste and bit N!

I have a sample of frog Morton en route. I'm excited about that and som 1q!

Jul 12, 2011
When I started smoking, I smoked a good bit of Dunhill's London Mixture,

and after a good year of age on her ; she smokes even nicer...I

don't recall pepper spice in the blend..should be on Par w/strength to

SG's SL..I went back to read reviews on the blend again/and think

if you haven't tried this one it might be worth it...I'm going to have to

pop another tin soon....brings back great memories

Status
Not open for further replies.