PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Ramback is a good one. Other than my McClelland stash, Yoshimi's Outshine is one I've really been enjoying lately. Speaking of KBV, Sakura is in stock again.
Yeah, I missed the boat on McClelland. Got a couple partial tins for a song of a few, but all Virginnies, no Oriental blends.

Reactions: madox07

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, I missed the boat on McClelland. Got a couple partial tins for a song of a few, but all Virginnies, no Oriental blends.
I loaded up on Christmas Cheer, 40th Anniversary, Oriental No.6, Yenidje Highlander, Yenice Agonya, and Blue Mountain while I could after Yenidje Highlander was discontinued. Something just smelled off when that happened.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
I loaded up on Christmas Cheer, 40th Anniversary, Oriental No.6, Yenidje Highlander, Yenice Agonya, and Blue Mountain while I could after Yenidje Highlander was discontinued. Something just smelled off when that happened.
Had a feeling you were going to mention Yenidje Highlander. Have eyed it a couple times on Pipestud, but figured I'd rather focus on things I can cellar up on easily when I find something I like. So far, Sutliff BS759 and Lewis' Orcilla Mixture have been my go-to Oriental fix. Sunday Picnic isn't bad, either.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My path is similar to many others. For many, many years I smoked English and Balkan blends almost exclusively. About 6 years ago my enjoyment of Latakia started to wane and rather suddenly I found it absolutely nauseating. Literally nauseating.
After that I stuck with Virginias and their variants and really enjoyed their more delicate flavors. My interest in anything to do with Latakia remained null.
In the last couple of years my physical revulsion toward Latakia has departed and I now occasionally have a hankering for some English. But never Lat bombs. To the extent that I smoke Latakia it's more of a condiment to the Orientals. Va/Or blends have become a greater presence.
I don't foresee returning to English/Balkan/Oriental blends in a major way ever, but it's nice to be able to enjoy these blends on occasion.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Awww that's got Latakia in it. You poor guy - you should probably just put it up for sale so you can get some blends that don't have that vile, accursed leaf.
Condiment amounts only much like Black Frigate, and Syrian at that. It really doesn't interfere with the blend. Once dedicated to a pipe, no amount of money could buy my tobacco, but that's okay, I also have these.

20190423_014218.jpg

• Wow

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
It's been nearly fifteen years for me now and still no interest. Yenidje seems to have replaced latakia for me.
I will say that since I'm a burleyphile, the blends with latakia I like most these days are actually burley based, which seems decidedly "un-English." For example Bow Legged Bear, Old Joe Krantz Red Label. I've been meaning to give Billy Budd a try. The more 'refined' English blends don't seem to click with me.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I will say that since I'm a burleyphile, the blends with latakia I like most these days are actually burley based, which seems decidedly "un-English." For example Bow Legged Bear, Old Joe Krantz Red Label. I've been meaning to give Billy Budd a try. The more 'refined' English blends don't seem to click with me.
You’d probably like Tuggle Hall and Billy Budd.