PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Peter Stokkebye's Proper English.

+1 !
Only recently found this but it is excellent.

Best of the Rest is super-budget but I've only tried a small amount, seems to be a step below PS Proper English.

John Bull Proper English is acceptable.

Loved EMP (and highly recommend) as one of my earliest learning blends for English/Latakia - but did NOT like the Match.

One method is to go online and pick ones that have massive #'s of reviews - and read about the blend and what people have to say. Statistically, if hundreds of other people like that popular blend, you will too. Pick the one(s) that intrigue you the most and learn from it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In bulk, definitely try C&D's burley-based English blend Tuggle Hall. Also with burley, try C&D's Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, and Stratfordshire. It's a different sub-genre of English. Long discontinued but highly refined and nuanced was Nat Sherman 536, a Virginia-based English with burley as a condiment, a really elegant spin on burley in an English blend.

Reactions: ofafeather

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
In bulk, definitely try C&D's burley-based English blend Tuggle Hall. Also with burley, try C&D's Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, and Stratfordshire. It's a different sub-genre of English. Long discontinued but highly refined and nuanced was Nat Sherman 536, a Virginia-based English with burley as a condiment, a really elegant spin on burley in an English blend.
I had tuggle hall about 25 years ago or more when Craig had a group of samples for sale. Otherwise he would not sell less than a pound. As i remenber , it was a clon for dunhill 965 , not a burley blend. It is different now?

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I make an English that smells really smoky and is surprising smooth:

-1 oz or 1 part C/D dark fired Kentucky
-1 oz or 1 part C/D Latakia
-1 oz or 1 part Sutliff red Virginia
-1 oz or 1 part Sutliff Crème Brulee or any vanilla aro

All bulk items and really balanced with decent nic from the dark fired and Virginia…. Mix in a bowl and jar for at least 2 weeks, longer is better, mmm

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Balkan Supreme, Balkan Sasieni, Ashton Artisan's Blend, Dan Pipe Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend and Gordon Pym, GLP Samarra and Charing Cross, Samuel Gawith Commonwealth Mixture and Squadron Leader, Peterson Old Dublin, Esoterica Penzance, Murray's 1A Linfield

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
My primary recommendation would be for Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme.

It is an excellent value for the quality of leaf it contains and a good introduction to an English blend.

John Bull is also a bargain though harder to find and not in bulk as far as I know.

Many others, such as Squadron Leader are hard to find and even rarer in bulk form.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Hello gentlemen (and hopefully some ladies too),

I am a very new pipe smoker, and am wanting to explore English blends, but want to try the bulk items first, as I'm working on a budget for now (gotta save some bux for some new pipes i'm considering!). What are some good English blends that might fit this bill? So far, I am considering the following:

- Stokkebye 306 English Oriental Supreme
- Balkan Supreme
- Sutliff 504C Aromatic English

Any others for this newb?

Thanks a million!

C-Mo
From my experience way back with I first transitioned into English I tried PS English Oriental Supreme. Coming from being a straight aromatic smoker the stuff was super strong to me, which I know now that it is milder English. So my advise would be start with the gentler ones first and if you like that your palate will naturally pull you to stronger blends. You may want to try Kremer's Father Dempsey, JM Boswell Magnum Blend or Countryside, Sutliff Match 20, Super Value English Mixture, PS English Luxury or Early Morning Pipe just to name a few.