PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

c-mo

Lurker
May 21, 2022
Hello gentlemen (and hopefully some ladies too),

I am a very new pipe smoker, and am wanting to explore English blends, but want to try the bulk items first, as I'm working on a budget for now (gotta save some bux for some new pipes i'm considering!). What are some good English blends that might fit this bill? So far, I am considering the following:

- Stokkebye 306 English Oriental Supreme
- Balkan Supreme
- Sutliff 504C Aromatic English

Any others for this newb?

Thanks a million!

C-Mo

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Sutliff Sunrise [Early Morning Pipe Match]
Jesses Own from 4noggins. A rather tasty blend that also has a touch of Perique.
Count Pulaski is a very nice crossover.

Read the reviews here so you've got a better idea of what suits your preferences before buying.
www.tobaccoreviews.com

Reactions: mingc

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
All these mentioned are great. I second or third Balkan Supreme, Arango Balkan, and Father Dempsey. All are available in bulk. Often SmokingPipes runs a sale on the C&D blends or there now acquired Kramers blends (Father Dempsey). Consider also Star of the East, heavier latakia, but a good winter smoke.

Lastly, I have not yet tried but want to try is Country Squire Shepherds Pie.

Reactions: mingc and RobNYC

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
As was mentioned, you hit on a lot of them. If you look at Smoking Pipes top 25 bulk blends, several of the ones mentioned here come up. Just for perusal’s sake, here’s all the bulk English that SP carries: Pipe Tobacco - Best Online Selection | Smokingpipes.com - https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/index.cfm?tinOrBulk=214&family=1&family=5&sortOpt=default&displayNum=24

As for blends from Wilke, Country Squire, Peretti, Watch City, Boswell, they make some amazing stuff and it can be overwhelming. I recommend starting small and smoking the carp out of one or two blends and really getting to know them, then branch out gradually. It’s easy to get lost in acquiring new stuff (TAD-Tobacco Acquisition Disorder) and constantly trying new stuff (TNTD-Try New Tobacco Disorder). Enjoy and good luck!
BTW, where are you located? Do you have a decent B&M nearby?

Reactions: mingc

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Can't believe that new pipe smokers head straight for the latakia. Nothing wrong with doing so--I just compare it with my first decade of smoking, where I avoided it because it smelled and tasted downright odd. I was a Mac Baren Golden Extra junkie for ten years and had the tongue to prove it. It was the exotic-ness of the original Balkan Sobranie that eventually led me down the path of latakia/oriental depravity. I still look at these blends slightly askance, then indulge. Guess I'm a bit biased for burley in a pipe. And virginia? Virginia belongs in cigarettes. (Joke, har! har!)

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Ahab’s Comfort by Watch City Cigar is excellent. It’s reasonably priced as-is, and if you decide you want to stock up the price per ounce gets discounted if you buy more at one time. The site shows exactly what the discounts are, I don’t remember off the top of my head.