PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kan

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022
Birmingham, England.
If you found English blends subtle, and not a “flavour bonanza,” what do you normally smoke? I’ve found English blends to be the category the least subtle of all.
It's smoky and strong, but I just don't think it's as strong as aromatics. I've not smoked many tobaccos yet, but I like Stokkebye, and their maple/honey flavoured stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: Casual

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm the same way. I mostly smoke Virginia/Vapers, but oh boy when I crave an English nothing else can satisfly me. In the course of the years I found that I enjoy some lighter Englishes, like Chelsea Morning, preferably aged a little, that have a big Virginia base and in where latakia is used just like salt and pepper.
I still need to try that one. And my preference is certainly more towards the mild to medium end of the spectrum. Weirdly though the one that broke me into enjoy blends with latakia was on the heavy end of the latakia. And I will say I feel that Consumate Gentleman is still a very under rated blend. I find it's like a slightly more interesting Presbyterian. Very similar but just different enough. I can certainly see why people get way into them. But yeah if I had to pick a favorite style Virginia would be the pick.

Reactions: OldCaptainTheo

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
What do you usually like WV? I’m just starting to dig the englishes myself.
I like Super Value English Mixture, Father Murphy, Edward G. Robinson, Peter S.- Oriental Supreme. I know some may be categorized as cross over but I'm not that picky. There are others but I'd have to start digging in the treasure chest.

Jun 8, 2022
Athens, Greece
I still need to try that one. And my preference is certainly more towards the mild to medium end of the spectrum. Weirdly though the one that broke me into enjoy blends with latakia was on the heavy end of the latakia. And I will say I feel that Consumate Gentleman is still a very under rated blend. I find it's like a slightly more interesting Presbyterian. Very similar but just different enough. I can certainly see why people get way into them. But yeah if I had to pick a favorite style Virginia would be the pick.
I totally agree about Consummate Gentleman. You need to try Chelsea Morning and/or Picadilly, too!

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob
Jun 8, 2022
Athens, Greece
I still don't think Latakia is smoky. It's something else, but somewhat like smoke. Can put word to it.
I understand what you mean. In orthodox Greek mass, the Church is filled with this burning incense (it is actually Frankincense) smoke. For me Latakia is exactly like that, not exactly smoky (as Dark Fired), but mostly has this specific "aromatic" quality of smoke.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
My local B&M is only 3 years old, pretty small and they're the only tobacconist we have that caters to pipe, so I am trying to support them. The selection is mostly Virginias and Aromatics.

The did have one English/Balkan: Sutliff Crumble Kake English #1. Picked up a tin today, had my first bowl of it right there in their lounge with some black, medium roast coffee and it was pretty good. It's definitely going to make frequent reappearances for me.

Reactions: Kan and anotherbob

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
My local B&M is only 3 years old, pretty small and they're the only tobacconist we have that caters to pipe, so I am trying to support them. The selection is mostly Virginias and Aromatics.

The did have one English/Balkan: Sutliff Crumble Kake English #1. Picked up a tin today, had my first bowl of it right there in their lounge with some black, medium roast coffee and it was pretty good. It's definitely going to make frequent reappearances for me.
I miss B&M shops where you can sit and chat with the owner or even try out tobaccos. None left in Edinburgh that cater to pipers unfortunately. Long live the B&M

Reactions: sardonicus87

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
I started With English blends and stayed with it a few years. I used to be on a forum that was primarily made up of Lat lovers. VA/Pers and I never really got along, at first, because I hadn’t developed the proper cadence and wound up with terrible tongue bite. Even today I’m not much of a Perique fan. Now, I smoke black cavendish blends and Aros, mostly. I have plenty of English and Balkan cellared, if I ever get the urge. Tastes do change over time.

Reactions: anotherbob

felix Cappuccio

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2021
I love English blends some of my favorites are from Greg Pease also give jm Boswells north woods a try also his military force I know there not for everyone however if you try the right ones they grow on you enjoy.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Aging of tobacco, developing technique and changing tastes plus many other variables will be factors as you continue along. Congratulations on discovering English blends and enjoy as you find others you like.

Reactions: Kan

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I bought these two blends from Chieftain, which I've mentioned. One called lazy day, and the other Robert's mixture.
My initial impression was one of being wholly unimpressed, then actually a little bit disgusted. Perhaps disgusted simply because I spent money on something I didn't like haha.
But I went out to the park today and smoked perhaps my last bowl of Stokkebye, then had one bowl of lazy day and it really was quite nice.

I think it's just a matter of a beginner starting to understand the nuances and to not simply expect every tobacco to be this flavour-filled bananza, but more subtle and a gentle note to whatever you're doing. Rather than drowning in flavour.
Would it be my first choice? No. But I definitely don't regret buying them anymore. :sher:

So as a beginner, my recommendation to anyone who starts that read this - give whatever you tried a few more shots! After all, you bought the damn thing!
Have you tried any of the bulk blends from GQ Tobacco.? They sell every type of UK manufactured blends including aromatics and the great thing is you can buy as little as 10g so instead of buying one 50g tin for £17 you can try five different blends for around the same price.This is what I did in the long run it saved me from wasting money by the end of the 10g sample I had a good idea whether I liked it or not. It's all part of the fun.

Reactions: OzPiper and clynch

Kan

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022
Birmingham, England.
Have you tried any of the bulk blends from GQ Tobacco.? They sell every type of UK manufactured blends including aromatics and the great thing is you can buy as little as 10g so instead of buying one 50g tin for £17 you can try five different blends for around the same price.This is what I did in the long run it saved me from wasting money by the end of the 10g sample I had a good idea whether I liked it or not. It's all part of the fun.
Oh dude... I need to do that. I've wasted so much money on shit I didn't end up liking. Thanks for the tip

Reactions: marconi and jpmcwjr