PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kan

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022
Birmingham, England.
I bought these two blends from Chieftain, which I've mentioned. One called lazy day, and the other Robert's mixture.
My initial impression was one of being wholly unimpressed, then actually a little bit disgusted. Perhaps disgusted simply because I spent money on something I didn't like haha.
But I went out to the park today and smoked perhaps my last bowl of Stokkebye, then had one bowl of lazy day and it really was quite nice.

I think it's just a matter of a beginner starting to understand the nuances and to not simply expect every tobacco to be this flavour-filled bananza, but more subtle and a gentle note to whatever you're doing. Rather than drowning in flavour.
Would it be my first choice? No. But I definitely don't regret buying them anymore. :sher:

So as a beginner, my recommendation to anyone who starts that read this - give whatever you tried a few more shots! After all, you bought the damn thing!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I bought these two blends from Chieftain, which I've mentioned. One called lazy day, and the other Robert's mixture.
My initial impression was one of being wholly unimpressed, then actually a little bit disgusted. Perhaps disgusted simply because I spent money on something I didn't like haha.
But I went out to the park today and smoked perhaps my last bowl of Stokkebye, then had one bowl of lazy day and it really was quite nice.

I think it's just a matter of a beginner starting to understand the nuances and to not simply expect every tobacco to be this flavour-filled bananza, but more subtle and a gentle note to whatever you're doing. Rather than drowning in flavour.
Would it be my first choice? No. But I definitely don't regret buying them anymore. :sher:

So as a beginner, my recommendation to anyone who starts that read this - give whatever you tried a few more shots! After all, you bought the damn thing!
It's good advice. Don't give up on a blend right away. Usually after 3 to 5 bowls I know if I like something enough to buy it again.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I am funny with English. I don't smoke a lot of it. But when the mood strikes me I really dig it. Kind of like how I feel about the music of Bjork.
I'm the same way. I have several English blends handy at all times because I don't know when the urge will hit me. I really enjoy English blends when those moments hit, but I don't smoke them that frequently.

Kan

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022
Birmingham, England.
I am funny with English. I don't smoke a lot of it. But when the mood strikes me I really dig it. Kind of like how I feel about the music of Bjork.
I agree. I think from my initial impressions of this hobby I'm going to be a black cavendish/Virginia/aromatic sorta guy. I will absolutely look into other stuff, but the former will be my preferences.

Reactions: anotherbob

Kan

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022
Birmingham, England.
My Great Grandparents came to America from Gamleby, Sweden.
Mine came from a little town called Sveg, fairly isolated. The province Harjadalen ( I can't be bothered to include the umlaut) literally just has a moose, dog, some birds etc on the coat of arms. To this day it's mostly forest.

(I also descend from Swedish immigrants to America, but raised in England. Weird story)

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

What do you mean by "English blends"?

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
I love Germain's english blend. Down it with Peated Whisky is the amazing! You should try it before saying you hate Latakia. Because I used to hate it as well.

Jun 8, 2022
Athens, Greece
I'm the same way. I mostly smoke Virginia/Vapers, but oh boy when I crave an English nothing else can satisfly me. In the course of the years I found that I enjoy some lighter Englishes, like Chelsea Morning, preferably aged a little, that have a big Virginia base and in where latakia is used just like salt and pepper.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
When I first tried an English blend.It slapped me upside the head harder than a fastball and I said ugghhh never again …but a little spark was lit (pun intended ) and I saw myself trying it again and again and slowly but surely over time I grew to appreciate the beautiful flavours they have. Still love my aromatics but what can I say. I’m a converted English flavour man :sher:

Reactions: jiminy and clynch

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I'm the same way. I mostly smoke Virginia/Vapers, but oh boy when I crave an English nothing else can satisfly me. In the course of the years I found that I enjoy some lighter Englishes, like Chelsea Morning, preferably aged a little, that have a big Virginia base and in where latakia is used just like salt and pepper.

I also recommend mild-medium English blends, esp. for beginners. Chelsea Morning is high on my list, also Blackpoint.