PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
I definitely echo the recommendations for Presbyterian. You might even like My Mixture 965 (a bit more full-flavored than Presbyterian, but extremely well-balanced).

I'm baffled as to why some folks are recommending Balkan Supreme, though. That was my first English, and it nearly turned me off them entirely. Waaaaay to Latakia heavy. To me, it tasted like a cross between an old library book and an argyle sweater...

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
I definitely echo the recommendations for Presbyterian. You might even like My Mixture 965 (a bit more full-flavored than Presbyterian, but extremely well-balanced).

I'm baffled as to why some folks are recommending Balkan Supreme, though. That was my first English, and it nearly turned me off them entirely. Waaaaay to Latakia heavy. To me, it tasted like a cross between an old library book and an argyle sweater...
Well, Balkan Supreme is not available here, as far as I can tell. Maybe it's marketed under a different name, which is sometimes the case.

Reactions: GothPiper
Jan 21, 2022
Newquay, Cornwall, UK
I'd like to recommend solani white & black 763. It's not quite a full English or Balkan but it's definitely in that ballpark.
Recommending as it's very smooth, lots of flavour and low nicotine due to the Latakia and Cavendish.
Its my favourite at the moment. Lovely and smooth, creamy, fragrant, smoky.
It should be a available where you are.

Reactions: Irish Piper

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
I'd like to recommend solani white & black 763. It's not quite a full English or Balkan but it's definitely in that ballpark.
Recommending as it's very smooth, lots of flavour and low nicotine due to the Latakia and Cavendish.
Its my favourite at the moment. Lovely and smooth, creamy, fragrant, smoky.
It should be a available where you are.
Thanks. I'll look out for it. puffy

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Well, Balkan Supreme is not available here, as far as I can tell. Maybe it's marketed under a different name, which is sometimes the case.
I believe that it's also known as Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme. I don't feel that it's too aggressive with the Latakia, but it's definitely more than what is found in Rattray's Red Rapparee. YMMV!

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Red Raparee is great. For your next order I would also suggest Peterson's My Mixture 965, a 'Scottish' blend with cavendish like Red Rap.

I don't know if Sam Gawith is easy for you to get hold of, but their Skiff Mixture was my favorite English blend until I went off latakia. Skiff is very mild on the latakia, and very subtle with the virginias and orientals.

Sep 19, 2019
Presbyterian Mixture is the go-to in my book. It's mild, and fairly inexpensive as well, compared to most tins. It also is simply a fine mixture that displays (in a modest way) the complexity that English pipe blends are capable of.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll second Peterson My Mixture 965, flavorful but easygoing. English is a large and variegated genre, and can be Virginia or burley based. The selection you have ordered will probably give you plenty to enjoy and think about. Your taste will likely change over time too, so if you don't like something, jar it and try it in a year.

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
I had my first bowl of Presbyterian tonight. Very pleased with it. Mild but flavourful. I need to develope my taste buds for pipe tobacco before I can say more than that, being a cigar smoker for so long.

I'm looking forward to my next bowl of this, but also to trying the others that I bought. A good recommendation. Thanks everyone! puffy

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
My vote is Hearth & Home BlackHouse. It’s delicious (subjectively), mild as these sorts of blends go, ready rubbed, perfect moisture right out of the tin… I smoke almost nothing but English blends, and this one always holds its own.