PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
John Bull Royal English filled that niche for me. I found it to be mildly flavorful and easy to work with as a beginner. It's available here in the US as a pouch brand - not sure if it's marketed in EU.
Ditto. They recently released two companion blends, Fragrant English and True English. Haven't tried them yet, so I can't vouch for either, but Royal English was the first English blend I ever tried. Perfect intro to the category, with a little bit of dry time, perhaps 20 mins.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I agree that a mild English blend is an excellent start. But mild is not an easy blend to always find. I recommend Black Maria, a blend by John Dengler in St. Charles, MO. I am sure Larry would ship to Germany. But, it could be problematic. That said, it is very mild and provides the foundational notes of a good English blend in a mixture that eases the door way and invites the user without any worry or anxiety.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Presbyterian? Early Morning Pipe? These are pretty mild and easy to smoke as an introduction to the English blends.
I don't know what's available in Deutschland, but I'd second the recommendation of Peterson Early Morning Pipe blend as well as Presbyterian. Both are excellent "beginner" English blends that have become a staple in my cabinet.

Be sure to let us know what you find & how you enjoy it.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I think it's impossible to go wrong with Arango Balkan Supreme. It's super tasty, available in bulk lots of places, and quite inexpensive. It isn't too light for an English blend, but not a bigger hitter like Plum Pudding or something either. I immediately bought a pound after enjoying the fist couple ounces so much, so this is a favorite blend.

For a tinned option that is also a favorite, I would recommend Rattray Red Rapparee. However, we seem to be between shipments so I don't think it's available anywhere right now. You may have better luck with Rattray though since you're in Europe.

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
I don't know what's available in Deutschland, but I'd second the recommendation of Peterson Early Morning Pipe blend as well as Presbyterian. Both are excellent "beginner" English blends that have become a staple in my cabinet.

Be sure to let us know what you find & how you enjoy it.
Both of those are easily obtainable as well as the Rattray's 7 Reserve recommended by Iraisch. I'll probably give them all a try. ?

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
I think it's impossible to go wrong with Arango Balkan Supreme. It's super tasty, available in bulk lots of places, and quite inexpensive. It isn't too light for an English blend, but not a bigger hitter like Plum Pudding or something either. I immediately bought a pound after enjoying the fist couple ounces so much, so this is a favorite blend.

For a tinned option that is also a favorite, I would recommend Rattray Red Rapparee. However, we seem to be between shipments so I don't think it's available anywhere right now. You may have better luck with Rattray though since you're in Europe.
Yep, Rattray is pretty available here, including the blend you mentioned. Added to the shopping list!

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Yep, Rattray is pretty available here, including the blend you mentioned. Added to the shopping list!
Good deal. I love Red Rapparee because it is a bit more Oriental forward. If you want a bit more Latakia forward, then also try Rattray Black Mallory. Since Rattray is more available to you, you may also be able to find them all in bulk there.

Reactions: Irish Piper

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
I agree that a mild English blend is an excellent start. But mild is not an easy blend to always find. I recommend Black Maria, a blend by John Dengler in St. Charles, MO. I am sure Larry would ship to Germany. But, it could be problematic. That said, it is very mild and provides the foundational notes of a good English blend in a mixture that eases the door way and invites the user without any worry or anxiety.
This is my home B&M but I haven’t tried Black Maria yet, I’ll give it a try!