English Bents, pre-1900, and Sherlock Holmes.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Here are illustrations by Sidney Paget, the artist of the original stories, that will give you some perspective.
First is from "The Blue Carbuncle" showing his pipe rack, that seems to show his cherrywood, his clay, and his briar.

View attachment 169729

The second is from "The Man with the Twisted Lip" publisher the same year as "The Blue Carbuncle" shows him smoking "his old briar."
View attachment 169726
Thx. I never noticed the pipe rack before. Amazing.

Reactions: dino

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The Brett series is notable for being the closest to the original stories. Other than the first 2 movies all the Rathbone flicks were new stories set in modern times... but fun none the less.

The recent "Sherlock" series from the BBC is interesting and well casted. If you haven't seen any I recommend the first episode "A study in Pink". It's great, but I'm sorry to say, the following ones are not as good. The producers and writers just got too outlandish for my taste and each subsequent episode got weirder and weirder. puffy

Last edited:
Reactions: ThermionicScott

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The Brett series is notable for being the closest to the original stories. Other than the first 2 movies all the Rathbone flicks were new stories set in modern times... but fun none the less.

The recent "Sherlock" series from the BBC is interesting and well casted. If you haven't seen any I recommend the first episode "A study in Pink". It's great, but I'm sorry to say, the following ones are not as good. The producers and writers just got too outlandish for my taste and each subsequent episode got weirder and weirder. puffy
A Scandal in Belgravia was pretty good, IMO, and offered up more of Irene Adler than the world had ever seen!

Reactions: kcghost
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

Agreed, that seems to be a thing with Stephen Moffat.

This may not be a popular take, and is pretty out of scope for a pipe forum, but I really enjoyed Jonny Lee Miller's portrayal in the "Elementary" TV show.

Reactions: Searock Fan

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The Brett portratals were really my favorite canonical portrayals of Holmes. Rathbone was excellent also but he had a non-canonical Watson and frequently worked outside the canon. Gillette was superb as Holmes and started many of the cliches that we see in his portrayals particularly the calabash pipe. There have been many excellent portrayals of Holmes that have been excellent but they lack the staying power of Rathbone and Brett.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Agreed, that seems to be a thing with Stephen Moffat.

This may not be a popular take, and is pretty out of scope for a pipe forum, but I really enjoyed Jonny Lee Miller's portrayal in the "Elementary" TV show.
I watched some of the "Elementary" series. It was somewhat entertaining, however, I did have a problem with a female Watson and I also found it difficult to understand Miller's accent. Nothings perfect.

Recently watched "The Crucifer of Blood" which is a very liberal take off on "The Sign of Four". Charlton Heston plays Homes. He was a good actor but I have a problem seeing him as Homes.

I'm beginning to think this forum needs a Homes thread...... :sher: