English Bents, pre-1900, and Sherlock Holmes.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Here's one of mine, Barling 1882:

iJpeyRe.jpg
Ditto.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Would Sherlock have embraced such gorgeous bling? In my mind, no. A simple bent might be his cuppa; one single silver band.
Beautiful pipes one & all but you’re quite right. Too flash for Sherlock!
Mr. Tottenham, If you think the arguing & fits of piquant are bad on this forum, take a look on the Sherlock Holmes forums. Lol. Amazing how tempers get raised over a fictitious character. The ’Jack the Ripper’ forums are even worse! They usually involve different authors arguing over whose book is best. Great fun from a spectators standpoint though.
Y

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I'm a big Homes fan so here's a few random thoughts on you stage performance... for what they're worth.

Most of the audience doesn't have a clue as to what Sherlock smoked in the original stories. They're image of him is with a calabash.

A real calabash is, in my opinion, too valuable and fragile to risk getting broken during the production.

I would get a cheap, bent stem pipe which, I'm sure, would suit the audience, and if broken would not be a big loss.

During your performance you will be thinking about your lines and other things, not about the pipe, so I would suggest you fill it with some drug store tobacco full of PG that stays lit without much attention. That is... if you intend to smoke on stage.

Break a leg! puffy

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
Forgive my ignorance but what’s this ‘stage tobacco’ about? Black shag & Honeydew are two of the blends I remember Holmes’s smoking. Clan would probably go down well with the audience as it’s got a delightful room note, despite it being one of the worst blends to actually smoke.
Good luck with the play, sounds great fun!👍
Honeyrose makes a tobacco that is rose petals, red clover, etc. It's what people who don't smoke use on stage or film. We're not actually allowed to use real tobacco at the university, or I damn sure would! But two of my students are all gung ho about smoking in the show. Back in the day, when I was a student, our professor used to always get us those herbal stage cigarettes for show. No tobacco, tar, nicotine...smelled like burnt pancakes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
I
I'm a big Homes fan so here's a few random thoughts on you stage performance... for what they're worth.

Most of the audience doesn't have a clue as to what Sherlock smoked in the original stories. They're image of him is with a calabash.

A real calabash is, in my opinion, too valuable and fragile to risk getting broken during the production.

I would get a cheap, bent stem pipe which, I'm sure, would suit the audience, and if broken would not be a big loss.

During your performance you will be thinking about your lines and other things, not about the pipe, so I would suggest you fill it with some drug store tobacco full of PG that stays lit without much attention. That is... if you intend to smoke on stage.

Break a leg! puffy
I've smoked and acted before. I've been at this for decades, I'm a pro! But we can't use real tobacco, I'll be using honeyrose stuff.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
Love Brett, his portrayal was deep, but my number one will always be Rathbone.
Brett is my #1. My top 3 is Brett, Plummer, THEN a tie between Rathbone and Cushing. I'm trying to play him like Jeremy Brett, but not exactly like him, because no one else can pull it off.

Ian Richardson's Holmes is quite underrated, too.

Reactions: OzPiper