PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Wasn't born in US. So obviously, English isn't my native tongue. Korean is. Even over 40 years in US, English isn't exactly easy. But that has to be my language skill. Wasn't much good with Korean either. Articles are mostly missing, and sometimes spelling ain't much good. But found a new problem.

When making post on the forum, I'm so busy typing, my mind goes ahead of what I'm typing. Sometimes, I proof read. Mostly, I don't. I realized now I'm skipping out whole words in my posts. If I catch it, I'll edit. But it suck if I miss the window for the edit. I'm thinking that was a good post. Then 30 min later find out I can't believe I wrote that shit with words missing and not make any sense.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh, brother, you do so well in your second language. And I do greatly admire it. I struggled for years in high school to master French, which isn't that removed from English, and all to no avail. I loved the sound of it. I greatly admire people who become conversant in it. But after passing my one language course in college I left it alone.

My brother-in-law grew up in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, and is conversant in more than several languages -- Dutch of course, English, German, French, and at least conversational Russian and probably some Spanish. It is a true gift if you acquire languages with some facility. When I was a teenager, I could approximate a number of foreign accents ... big deal.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
You do better than some of our native born and US schooled members. In fact you handle the language very well.
Yeah I agree. I was born in the US, and lived here my whole 33 years. And I'm still not good at speaking English. Some of the things I say in person makes people wonder about me

Reactions: bullet08

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wasn't born in US. So obviously, English isn't my native tongue. Korean is. Even over 40 years in US, English isn't exactly easy. But that has to be my language skill. Wasn't much good with Korean either. Articles are mostly missing, and sometimes spelling ain't much good. But found a new problem.

When making post on the forum, I'm so busy typing, my mind goes ahead of what I'm typing. Sometimes, I proof read. Mostly, I don't. I realized now I'm skipping out whole words in my posts. If I catch it, I'll edit. But it suck if I miss the window for the edit. I'm thinking that was a good post. Then 30 min later find out I can't believe I wrote that shit with words missing and not make any sense.
Is there any other way to post?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

"I wasn't born in the U.S. .." :LOL:

We'd need an entire form for everyone to talk about how they eff up posts and the time limit lock is a bitch sometimes!

• Haha
Reactions: Zero and bullet08

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
English Major and even I’m not immune to errors.

Have you ever said, “take a park in the walk” when you’d meant to say, “take a walk in the park?”

It happened to me again this week. I saw my wife and I’d meant to say, “Honey, I love you” — but, it came out, “you fking bitch, you’ve ruined my whole damned life!”

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Have you ever said, “take a park in the walk” when you’d meant to say, “take a walk in the park?”

It happened to me again this week. I saw my wife and I’d meant to say, “Honey, I love you” — but, it came out, “you fking bitch, you’ve ruined my whole damned life!”
I don't think English is the issue.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

It's that damn autocorrect! Hate when that happens!