PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Nothing out of the ordinary for those of us who do not have English as their mother tongue.
Even though I studied English for years, I can perfectly understand what they write, understand what they say, speak fluently, when writing complex ideas, I almost invariably make mistakes.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Wasn't born in US. So obviously, English isn't my native tongue. Korean is. Even over 40 years in US, English isn't exactly easy. But that has to be my language skill. Wasn't much good with Korean either. Articles are mostly missing, and sometimes spelling ain't much good. But found a new problem.

When making post on the forum, I'm so busy typing, my mind goes ahead of what I'm typing. Sometimes, I proof read. Mostly, I don't. I realized now I'm skipping out whole words in my posts. If I catch it, I'll edit. But it suck if I miss the window for the edit. I'm thinking that was a good post. Then 30 min later find out I can't believe I wrote that shit with words missing and not make any sense.
Yeah well, you think you've got it bad.

I am an English speaker, living in Korea... :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't worry too much about it Bullet08. Your posts are A-okay by me.

Reactions: bullet08

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the most consistent mistake ESL people make with English is who to blame. When a native English speaker isn't clear and you misunderstand them, they correctly blame you no matter how poor their word choice is or how lazily inarticulate they are. It's correct to blame the other person for not intuiting what you mean...
ESL people always blame themselves when it happens. I think that's the biggest give away for a native speaker and non native English speaker. Otherwise it can be really very hard to tell the difference.
And if there is any confusion here and if anyone misunderstands anything I wrote, it is their fault and their fault alone.
Sasquatch xylophonic standmataz. (doesn't matter that these words don't work well in this context, you should know what I meant).

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Your posts are awesome man. They read perfectly fine to me. All I know is I read the word 'Korean' in your post and now I want some damn bibimbap which, unfortunately, is like an hour and a half away from my house.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
If I catch it, I'll edit. But it suck if I miss the window for the edit. I'm thinking that was a good post. Then 30 min later find out I can't believe I wrote that shit with words missing and not make any sense.
Same here. That's why when I'm typing a long post (I'm mostly a lurker here but a profuse talker on the homebrewtalk forum) I type it in Notepad then re-read and edit.
Although there's no edit time window on that board and I can correct myself at any time, I feel embarassed to sound foreign or incorrect. A perfectly correct thought conveyed in a struggling language looses a lot of authority to me, even though I understand it's correct, so I don't want to be that struggling guy.

Disclaimer: This post has been typed in directly, it's not long enough to employ Notepad :)

Reactions: Zero and bullet08

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
Your posts make me laugh, especially the dog shit under the snow, haha. You have a good sense of humor that gets conveyed very well. I type everything thing here from my phone with my big fat thumbs and failing vision, you'll never get a novel from me here. I try to keep it short and sweet, sometimes I shoot from the hip, or I'm at work and get interrupted and then realize that I've submitted crap and miss the damn edit window. No judgement here, man. I have OCD about certain things and I can understand getting frustrated when something isn't right. Flocking autocorrect!

Reactions: kcghost and trudger