PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 deithial

I'd need a machete, if I was going to cut it.

funny-picture-dump-images-dumpaday-18.jpg

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Wet shaving is much easier on the skin, and the variety of soaps and creams is amazing.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Wet, dry, safety, straight, electric -- I've tried 'em all. The only thing that really works is pulling them out, one by one. And it's a nice, relaxing hobby that that be done while watching television, reading, even smoking your pipe - just be sure to keep the hairs out of your bowl. :roll:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I tried the straight razor thing but I also shave my head. I literally bled for 2 days straight from the top of my head. lol

In the winter I hate shaving and most times just trim it down with a tiny set of electric clippers called a "Peanut" made by Wahl. Trims it down to damn near a 5 o'clock shadow and that good enough for me.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I have what I believe is known as 'friendly mutton chops', and I used to use an electric razor to trim said chops with, but I got too lazy (plus my electric razors were made in 1984 in West Germany). I only wet shave now, and only with proper soap at that. My dad uses that gel stuff that comes in like a toothpaste tube, but I find that's like trying to shave with ketchup. It's a sad day when I have to stay at my parents' and I forget my stuff.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I've tried a few over 30+ years that people bought me as Christmas gifts with none comparing to a wet shave. Considering it takes me the same time to get a nice tight shave with a sharp razor they get tossed in the garbage.
Craig

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Eric,
My apologies as I certainly meant no offense to anyone. Just my attempt at sarcasm. I am a big advocate for traditional wet shaving but I certaintly don't judge anyone for using whatever works best for them.
My apologies to you to msandoval as well, I was not angry, but my comment made it look like I could have been, I was slightly annoyed by your word usage and attempted to use sarcasm to point it out, but I really shouldn't have said anything at all, if anything I have cause to fear any dictation police, so I will be the last one to apply for the position.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
The old Norelco models were the best in that class, but that company got absorbed by something else and they redesigned and lowered the RPM.

So the current product does not compare to the former.

They have their uses, but nothing is as close and clean as a blade.
SC

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Wet, dry, safety, straight, electric -- I've tried 'em all. The only thing that really works is pulling them out, one by one. And it's a nice, relaxing hobby that that be done while watching television, reading, even smoking your pipe - just be sure to keep the hairs out of your bowl.

4Dot's method is safe and effective. Wonder why I didn't think of that first? :roll:

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I seem to be in the minority, but I have been using Philishave models since I began growing facial hair. From time to time I shave wet, but during the working week, I do not want to spend the time for that.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
For my skin type I have to use electric. African American males skin is to sensitive to blades and we get razor bumps easily. Not all, but the majority.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
The best shave I have gotten so far is a new razor they have out that vibrates while you shave.

That's what I use- Gillette Fusion. Not saying it's the best shave, but everyone strikes a different balance between comfort, price, and convenience.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
That's what I use- Gillette Fusion. Not saying it's the best shave, but everyone strikes a different balance between comfort, price, and convenience.
I use that on my head. That is an excellent razor. I use it on my face if I absolutely have to!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The best shave I have gotten so far is a new razor they have out that vibrates while you shave.
I'd be too afraid my girl would steal it and it would be out of batteries before my next shave. Anything that vibrates or has batteries that can go into a vibrator is not safe in this house 8O

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I just shaved with a Dubl Duck straight razor . I have lots of straight razors and they all shave well. I use a splash on after shave and there is no burn. I can't say that for an electric razor. They are rougher on the skin some how in my option.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
A buddy of mine used to get a new electric razor from his dad every Christmas. When I asked what he did with the old ones, he said he just threw them away....I couldn't believe it, so a few years ago I got a Norelco from him that had only been used a year and when I looked it up to replace the blades, they called it the "James Bond" model and retailed for like $320! While I never would've paid that for it, it is an incredible razor......now if I can only get him to smoke a pipe and have his dad buy him a new Dunhill every year, I'd be set.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
If it's been a few days/weeks...
1. Beard trimmer, without any attachments to buzz down the hedges.

2. Use the electric to shave.

3. Finish off any leftovers (particularly in the neck area) that the electric couldn't get at with one of them Quattro razors.
Otherwise for a daily routine, I'll use electric. There's no prep required, you do it dry and it's fairly fast, but I hate HATE HATE the bumps and ingrown hairs associated with using the electric!

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Beards rock! Nice image from cosmic folklore.

Each to their own but proper razor blades if you are going to shave.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Electric. I have a 10 year old Norelco that is great in every way. I shave in seconds each morning, no fuss, no muss (it can do wet, but I prefer dry). Plus I save a fortune in disposable razors (which I used to use).
However, I will say that I was gifted a new one a few years back (also a Norelco) and it's terrible - never a close shave, takes 4 x longer to use. If this was the only electric razor I tried, I'd swear they were all junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.