PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Okay, I just read through this thread again while smoking some Eight State Burley and feel the need to comment further on some of the topics... I'm not for or against C&D, but I don't understand the repeated outcry about "Small Batch," "Limited Edition," marketing tactics, release dates/times, etc. In general, pipe tobacco blends are like any other consumer hobby item such as beer, bourbon, board games, sneakers, etc. that has an active community of users interesting in procuring, using, and/or just collecting the product. That means that there will be seasonal releases, limited releases, limited quantities, marketing, crazy releases, hoarding, secondary markets, and so on. This is fact, so get over it. Nobody is making you do anything. Buy it, don't buy it; stay up late and play the game, or don't. You alone have the power to act or not act, but there's no reason to complain about it because that's not really going to change anything. It's really necessary to get over the fear of missing out (FOMO) on something, setting expectations, and getting over the idea that the goal of a product manufacturer or reseller is to ensure that EVERYBODY that wants something to get it. That's not necessarily true. First and foremost, manufacturer's make a product to sell and make a profit. Same with retailers. Yes, there are some longer term customer service/satisfaction involved on the retailer side, but even if some customers get upset, there are generally plenty in line behind them waiting to take the spot, especially in hobbies such as this and pretty much all others. Maybe people haven't participated in other similar hobbies and haven't yet been exposed to all of this, but it's the way it is these days.

In the cases of Eight State Burley and Folklore (I decided to lump this into the conversation as well since much of the feedback about its release was the same), the manufacturer. distributer, and retailer are owned by the same parent company, but there is still a separation between the three. Ultimately, the retailers set the limits and how/when they release the product one the specified day. Although one may opt for a midnight release, they weren't exclusive products and were available from many other resellers. It was definitely possible to wait and purchase elsewhere, or don't. How good the product might be is highly subjective anyway. But, if you want it, then play the game up front, do some leg work to source another way, or trade/get it from the secondary market later, but don't complain about that as opportunity is there.

My personal experience for both Eight State Burley 2021 and Folklore 2022 is that I passed on both of them at the initial release even though I was up, logged on, and saw them available. Even if I hadn't been, I wouldn't have been that sad to not buy any as let's be honest, I already have tobacco on hand to enjoy. The truth in any of these hobbies is that you cannot and will never be able to buy EVERYTHING released and thinking that you can will just end in frustration and disappointment. In both cases though, the blends were available from online retailers well after the initial release and I decided to purchase two tins of Eight State with no hassle and there was plenty more still available at the time. The same was true of Folklore. The point of these examples is that a particular product might be limited quantities, but if you REALLY want it, then there are ways to get it, although in some cases it might take jumping through some hoops and/or being patient.

This is supposed to be a fun, relaxing, and engaging hobby, so don't a tobacco blend release or two get you down. It isn't worth it. After all, it's just tobacco. It comes, it goes. There will be more. It might be better, worse, different, or other, but so be it. Just try to remember what's actually important in life...

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
No, you just lost me by starting with a rant that was unnecessary.
Was it unnecessary? It was just a rant about the ranting. Every time there is a new "Small Batch" release, a thread just like this one ends up with people complaining about the batch size, limited availability, marketing, release schedule, etc. all over again. The outrage and sense of entitlement are both ridiculous. It's just another consumer product competing for your disposable income and participation is not mandatory.

TL;DR again?: Get over it. Take a step back, light up a pipe of your favorite blend, and relax. It's just tobacco.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I bought one tin of last year's release and just opened it about a week ago. I'm probably 9 or 10 bowls into the tin at this point so for me it's time to make a decision on whether I'll order this year.

For me, it's a no. Although I like the blend it isn't one I imagine I'll crave. Sure, the leaf is different and profile somewhat changed but there are just other burleys I enjoy so much more. More tins for the die hards! I don't imagine the shelves will be cleaned out on day one anyway.

Tabacco

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2020
GA - USA
Yeh, I would have to say that I was surprised that so many people adored a blend like this that has the same flavor profile as many of the other burley blends out there. My guess is that some of the guys who raved about it were snotty Virginia smokers that only tried 8State, because it was a "rare" small batch thing, and they've never tried many of the other burley blends out there.

I mean, I liked it a lot, but I also have several other things in the cellar that scratches the same itch. I would definitely buy more, as long as I don't have to wait up till midnight, but if I don't get more, I won't lose any sleep over it (pun intended).
I hope I am not derailing this tread but I thought I could ask for suggestions ("the same flavor profile ").
And yes, for full disclosure, I am mainly a Virginia smoker :) but from time to time I like giving Burley blends a try.