PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have 5 or so makes of refillable butanes. They are all good. Old Boys take the cake for style, but Kiribi, Xicar, Fauxponts all work fine. In breezes up to about 8 knots.

Reactions: BROBS

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I too am annoyed by having to refill a lighter that often. I have a corona for my desk (the petit version), keep a win jet angled flame for the living room, and a zippo for outdoors, although I find myself reaching for matches most often. They are reliable, except for windy days, and one can easily get another box as they run out. On the other hand, I did have some bad experience with poorly made matches - e.g. the Red Rooster brand, when one evening as I lit a match, using the same gesture I almost always have, a bit of phosphorus broke from the stick and hit my face near my nose. It burnt really bad and I can only imagine the damage it would have done if it struck my eye. So I am pretty particular when choosing my matches.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
one of the nifty side effects of the zippo as has been pointed out by others before.... If it is too windy to use the lighter it's really too windy to enjoy the pipe. You know like when you puff then hold the pipe away from the wind for five minutes and repeat and say I feel like I kind of smoked a pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
one of the nifty side effects of the zippo as has been pointed out by others before.... If it is too windy to use the lighter it's really too windy to enjoy the pipe. You know like when you puff then hold the pipe away from the wind for five minutes and repeat and say I feel like I kind of smoked a pipe.

Too windy? Over 35 knots gale is too windy.

Just hold a flat piece of wood or thick paper over the chamber at all times. You can easily draw with it in place, and the ember stays at the right temp.

Jan 27, 2020
It’s a shame those Corona Oldboys are so unsightly. Would take a Bic over them in appearance alone. Thankfully I have a nice vintage Cartier although with an oval tank which is problematic.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's worked well for me for a number of years. Sometimes I'll use a match book, being careful to keep the sulphur (tips) away from the heat. Not exactly recommended!

Enjoy!

just use couple of fingers domed over the chamber. seems to do the job for me. tho, 35mph wind and rain along with 37°F weather wasn't welcome.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bics and their flame-thrower, rim-scorching flames sux
I smoke outside and I am still to find something that consistently serves in the wind without the threat of scorching the rim from time to time. Might be my skill level, but when the wind fluctuates a lot, some scorch will happen. Maybe I just need more patience.
I'm still amazed at stories of scorched rims. This pipe, given to me at my high school graduation in 1992 by my drafting instructor, has seen college, hiking, suitcases, backpacks, pockets, work, and rest. Mostly lit by BICs throughout its time with me with no scorching.

20200208_203244.jpg

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Ive got 3 lighters. A Kiribi, A bic and some no name pizeo pipe lighter with tools.
If its windy, its Bic all day long.. its just a different technique, as stated above

Status
Not open for further replies.