PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
When I first started pipe smoking I purchased a Zippo pipe lighter but as I only smoke 1 bowl a day I got frustrated with the fuel evaporating and constant refilling it. So I moved onto using matches and also a Bic.

Recently I splashed out and purchased a Corona Oldboy. What a difference. That small flame is really effective. I find the tobacco lights much more evenly when using this lighter and the bowl smokes better.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
When I first started pipe smoking I purchased a Zippo pipe lighter but as I only smoke 1 bowl a day I got frustrated with the fuel evaporating and constant refilling it. So I moved onto using matches and also a Bic.

Recently I splashed out and purchased a Corona Oldboy. What a difference. That small flame is really effective. I find the tobacco lights much more evenly when using this lighter and the bowl smokes better.
I love my Old Boy as well. Very reliable and a nice small controlled flame to light the tobacco. I love the hefty feel as well and it lasts a long time on a full fluel tank.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast

Totally agree, the pipe flame makes it so scorching the rim is a thing of the past!

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I smoke outside and I am still to find something that consistently serves in the wind without the threat of scorching the rim from time to time. Might be my skill level, but when the wind fluctuates a lot, some scorch will happen. Maybe I just need more patience.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I smoke outside and I am still to find something that consistently serves in the wind without the threat of scorching the rim from time to time. Might be my skill level, but when the wind fluctuates a lot, some scorch will happen. Maybe I just need more patience.

I got fed up with the wind blowing for a number of days yesterday and decided to smoke regardless. I used my oldest cob as I know it is invariable that I will scorch the rim a bit. Even if I had not used a cob, I have come to the point of view that if I keep my briars in such beautiful condition that I never use them, then there's not much of a point because I am not a collector anyhow.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Even if I had not used a cob, I have come to the point of view that if I keep my briars in such beautiful condition that I never use them, then there's not much of a point because I am not a collector anyhow.
This is more or less where I am, my pipes are a collection for me to enjoy, not a collection to be smoked only if they can be preserved. They are not an investment or trust for the future.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
This is more or less where I am, my pipes are a collection for me to enjoy, not a collection to be smoked only if they can be preserved. They are not an investment or trust for the future.

I'm with you on that one, even though my pipe collection is most humble.
No point in saving neither pipe, car nor wife for the next guy. (while being responsible and taking good care of them of course)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Same, although with the take I care of my pipes they'll make nice estates when I take the dirt nap.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I had an Old Boy. It started getting hard to ignite even with Lava butane. I probably needed to bleed it but then I lost it. The only thing I miss about it is the tamper. These days it's either Zippo or, most of the time, the Linse disposable lighter than I get for $1.50 from my local B&M tobacco/head shop. Its obvious advantage over a Bic is the pivoting nozzle. Less obvious is the adjustable flame. external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.