PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The tobaccos are mostly house bulks? That's the impression I got from the photos on google.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
The tobaccos are mostly house bulks? That's the impression I got from the photos on google.
Not so. While they do buy in bulk from lane, they flavor and blend in-house. Their sweet Virginia is actually very good and not like anything I’ve tried before. Going to test ride their “QuickDraw “ blend tomorrow.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Was Edwards part of the Frank company that made pipes? Was there an Edwards pipe, or maybe that was just a house pipe made by someone else? Seems like there used to be a pipe making activity in Tampa.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Yes they previously made and repaired pipes. Their pipes now are I believe French imports made for them. You can get lucky with some dusty tins on the shelf. But my last time there was January and admittedly tins were slim pickings. Great place though and plenty of pipes to handle and get a feel for, decent staff will leave you alone or help willingly as needed.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Was Edwards part of the Frank company that made pipes? Was there an Edwards pipe, or maybe that was just a house pipe made by someone else? Seems like there used to be a pipe making activity in Tampa.
You are correct, MSO. They still had one or two of the Edward’s pipes hanging around, but they no longer produce pipes. Another interesting fact is that McCranie’s used to be an Edward’s franchise back in the day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe Edwards made Benton pipes that were house pipes for Iwan Ries decades ago. I bought three of them -- a billiard, a Canadian, and a bent-billiard/almost Oom-Paul, all of the mentioned oil cured Algerian briar, all of which have aged extremely well and look almost new. Today, I'm trying to figure out who the remaining highest volume U.S. briar pipe maker might be. It's between F.M. Frank that makes Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, Medico, in Windsor, N.Y., and Dr. Grabow in Sparta, N.C. that makes Dr. Grabow pipes. On the basis of availability, I would guess that Dr. Grabow is the larger volume producer, but I have no evidence otherwise. Dr. Grabow's factory took a hit by an earthquake this summer that shut down the factory for a time, but I suppose they have resumed production somewhat by now. I own and enjoy both Dr. Grabow and Kaywoodie and Yello-Bole pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.