PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I apologize in advance if this has been asked numerous times before but I've been wondering if anyone is aware of anything produced today that those who've smoked the original can say is a good or close replacement? This question stands for the full flake or the rubbed version.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
P&C has a ERR match that's quite tasty. Never had the original, so I can't comment on how well it resembles the original

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Match is close to the original. Here's my review of the Match:
It packs well, stays lit, and is a very cool, consistent smoke all the way to the bottom - no bite or moisture. Nutty with a molasses flavor and a little cocoa. I can see this being a decent starter burley for someone who has never tried the genre, and I can certainly see it being a regular rotation blend. A really good work and all day play smoke that may not be complex, but will satisfy your wants for OTC burleys.
This Match is very close to the original. I spent a weekend comparing the two versions. The original seemed a little fuller, deeper in the molasses taste, and that's the only difference I can tell. The cut and look of the tobacco is the very same. The more I smoke it, the better I like it. In a blind taste test, it would be very hard to tell which was which.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Jim, I've found another 'match' made by a company called Consolidated.

I wonder if you've tried any of their 'match' blends?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Newbroom: Consolidated, who owns Altadis, is now Sutliff, so it's the same thing.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Good news. Lane Limited will be bringing the original back with a different name. Look for Lane Limited Ready Rubbed within the next couple of months.
Russ

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Good news. Lane Limited will be bringing the original back with a different name. Look for Lane Limited Ready Rubbed within the next couple of months.
Russ
WHOOOT!!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Wow! Great news all around! Thanks Jim and Russ.
With the re-introduction of so many iconic blends I'm left wondering if we are witnessing a pipe smoking resurgence? I know it's been talked about many times over on here but if tobacco blenders are actually putting their money where their mouth is, just maybe..... ? I can see it now, big box pipe stores, Penzance on the checkout end caps, yeah, right. Lol.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The latest print version if P&T in its Pipefuls article gave a mouth watering description of what it once was and naturally I feel compelled to experience that. I'm normally opposed to chasing rainbows but I figure there was enough of this stuff out there that it should be fairly reasonable to have a little hope.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
As Russ indicated, the wait will shortly be over. Original forumula produced on the same (somewhat ancient) machines

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Leonard, that is some exciting news and thanks for chiming in! This is no doubt the best pipe smokers forum on the web.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I am smoking the first bowl of my Edgeworth match which Jiminks informs me is a Sutliff product.

I've been smoking PA, MTPA, CH, MTChatham, SWR, & Half&Half for a large portion of my rotation and this will augment that list very nicely.

It resembles SWR in its cube cut presentation. I can't see any REAL dark tobacco in the bag. All browns and tans.

I'm happy I sprung for an lb on sale. This is a slam dunk for those who enjoy OTC burley blends.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Wow newbroom! Except for the H&H that's my current rotation! I thought I might dedicate this as the summer of Burley.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Mr. Wortzel, I want to thank you that Lane will be producing the Edgeworth RR again. Having said that, is there a chance that the sliced version would also at some time be reproduced as well? I am guessing that it would be just as popular as the ready rubbed. Any idea on that?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
leacha, I just got in 3 more burley blends and a fourth which is the second week's taster for the PAX crawl (Classic Burley Kake)...the other 3 are PS702, MTChestnut, and the Edgeworth match.

I plan to maintain plenty of burley blends, in addition to other forays...VAs and Lats

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
CBK is a great smoke. I just picked up an 8oz and 1.5 tin. I've never had 702 hope you post your thoughts and I have a sealed tub of Walnut ill need to get through before I try Chestnut. I also grabbed a tub of Anglers Dream during my last order and am looking forward to cracking it.
There is another thread about this being the golden age of tobacco and with the impending release of Lanes RR I'm feeling like we are in the golden age of Burley blends.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Just curious as to the reason for the name change, Does Lane not still own the rights to Edgeworth?
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.