PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This sounds like website errors/issues.

I must of missed something, what do you mean about a refund?

It was very confusing to receive a "You have won this item. Please pay now". Then to be told "Sorry you missed out on this item" 1 minute later.

What I meant to say was I didn't want to pay, then find out I didn't win the item. And then have the hassle of trying to get my money back (it is a fairly substantial amount)

Obviously it must be a website error. But I had no way of confirming for more than 48 hours.

There must be lots of us over 60 year olds who have problems negotiating IT sites and not knowing how to bypass the walls set up to discourage human interface. I find it frustrating to the max ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It was very confusing to receive a "You have won this item. Please pay now". Then to be told "Sorry you missed out on this item" 1 minute later.

What I meant to say was I didn't want to pay, then find out I didn't win the item. And then have the hassle of trying to get my money back (it is a fairly substantial amount)

Obviously it must be a website error. But I had no way of confirming for more than 48 hours.

There must be lots of us over 60 year olds who have problems negotiating IT sites and not knowing how to bypass the walls set up to discourage human interface. I find it frustrating to the max ?
Many of the commercial internet sites are quite deliberately designed to be as unhelpful as possible when it comes to getting human help. The less employed, the more for the owners.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019

Now you have us wondering what did you bid on and how much did you bid?

Paying double what you thought it was worth means it's either gold plated or you got carried away in a bidding war.
z-evil laugh - austin powers alter ego.jpg

Got a pic?

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
This sounds like it might be a browser cache issue? When you load the payment page it might be giving you an older page. Try a different browser or restarting your system. Worth a shot.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Absolutely got nowhere.

Payment blocked even though I have received 10 requests to please pay up.

Contacted a couple of times by the seller, but my replies were not forwarded because of some "technical problem"

Moving on and not going to waste any more time on this futile exercise.

A couple of nice pipes arrived this week, so I will take some photos and will post them this weekend. You lose some, but there are always others to take their place.

Reactions: sablebrush52

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I guess i don't understand how bidding and winning there works .. ... i didn't win :P

private listing - bidders' identities protected$175.007 Jun 2022 at 12:43:03am PDT
MY BID$175.006 Jun 2022 at 7:50:10pm PDT

Someone that bid the same as me the next day seems to have won... how are there 2 bids all the same price at very different times .. LOL

Reactions: FLDRD

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I guess i don't understand how bidding and winning there works .. ... i didn't win :P

private listing - bidders' identities protected$175.007 Jun 2022 at 12:43:03am PDT

Someone that bid the same as me the next day seems to have won... how are there 2 bids all the same price at very different times .. LOL
My very first thought of what might have happened in my case - 2 bids at the same amount.
If that were the case, then the earlier bid should be the winning one. IMO

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
My very first thought of what might have happened in my case - 2 bids at the same amount.
If that were the case, then the earlier bid should be the winning one. IMO
So when we do cigar auctions the last bid before the cutoff wins so you big at 11:59:58 and someone else bids at 11:59:59 they win. The case i posted that guy bid the same amount .. he didn’t win with a hirer bid.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Absolutely got nowhere.

Payment blocked even though I have received 10 requests to please pay up.

Contacted a couple of times by the seller, but my replies were not forwarded because of some "technical problem"

Moving on and not going to waste any more time on this futile exercise.

A couple of nice pipes arrived this week, so I will take some photos and will post them this weekend. You lose some, but there are always others to take their place.
Smart choice. Sometimes things are just not meant to be.

Unless you're an "at any cost" collector you're going to face disappointments, and even then the occasional prospect may drift away beyond your reach.

The dreaded "the auction is ended because the object is no longer available" is longhand for the seller sold the item to someone else outside of eBay and cancelled the auction. It happens a lot.

What's been particularly disappointing have been the "pipe teases" who've contacted me about a particular Barling they would like to sell, we'd negotiate, and they would just disappear. If they wanted an estimate of value, just ask and I'll give you one. Just don't be devious or full of shit.

But, that's just part of the scene. You get the bad with the good.

Reactions: OzPiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

That's pretty strange, and my guess is that they actually bid more, but that "more" wasn't revealed in the bid history. Normally an automatic portion of the winning bid that exceeds the 2nd highest bid gets revealed, but not always.

I've also seen bid histories that include bids that arrived "after" the official end of the auction, and winning bids that appear to have been lower, based on the published bid history.

WIth eBay, shit sometimes happens.

• Sad

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've only been screwed once on Ebay. Bought a glass cabinet and seller/maker did a crappy job of packing and it arrive all broken up. He promised to replace it but then stalled me off so long that I was not able to post negative feedback on him. Of course, I never got the new cabinet. puffy

• Sad

amboyduke

Lurker
Jul 19, 2022
The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. What happened was that the Ebay seller did not have a PayPal Account. He was a new list-er and was unfamiliar with the process. Fortunately, he was able to find my home phone number on another website, and contacted me directly. We were able to handle the financial transaction outside of PayPal, even though it took a little more time. The seller lived two states away, and much too far to "Pick up only". At any rate, I was able to make the purchase, made a new friend, and both he and I were satisfied. Best of luck to you.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The other action, which involves more risk, is to carry out the transaction outside of eBay. eBay frowns upon this, for a whole host of good reasons, though their only concern is losing their cut. I've done private transactions with several sellers I originally met on eBay. Fortunately, none of them were problematic. There's no guarantee that will be the case.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. What happened was that the Ebay seller did not have a PayPal Account. He was a new list-er and was unfamiliar with the process. Fortunately, he was able to find my home phone number on another website, and contacted me directly. We were able to handle the financial transaction outside of PayPal, even though it took a little more time. The seller lived two states away, and much too far to "Pick up only". At any rate, I was able to make the purchase, made a new friend, and both he and I were satisfied. Best of luck to you.
Pleased it worked out well for you.

I hope on my case it was a glitch in the system and that the vendor will re-list the pipe I'm after.
A pipe dream I know. But hey, some dreams come true ?