PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Lol! Admit it, you deserved my response, brother man. ???
Not really. As some points aren't revelational. And also it is kind of funny when you think about what tea is, makes the rumors about how the whole thing got started seem plausible. The rumor is that a farmer or the Emperor (I am going to go with the Emperor of farming) was boiling water to drink as was the custom before modern sanitation some tea leaves blew into his caldron and he was like fuck it I'll see if this is o.k. and was like dang this is the bomb now I'll do this on purpose.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Not really. As some points aren't revelational. And also it is kind of funny when you think about what tea is, makes the rumors about how the whole thing got started seem plausible. The rumor is that a farmer or the Emperor (I am going to go with the Emperor of farming) was boiling water to drink as was the custom before modern sanitation some tea leaves blew into his caldron and he was like fuck it I'll see if this is o.k. and was like dang this is the bomb now I'll do this on purpose.
Not knowing the legend, my experience of Fall leaves reminded me of brewing.

Reactions: anotherbob

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Never found burley to be “earthy”. I get a nuttiness and light sweetness. When I think “earthy” its MM965 or a dark fired or campfire type of blend.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Never been sucker punched and dived head first into a mud pit? It tastes like that minus a bit of blood. Blood tastes like iron.
This is exactly what I thought of, but it might not be the most relatable thing unless you've lived a storied life. As a kid I also remember running through an open field full bore, tripping hard, and ending up with a mouth full of "earth".
I've also though that earthiness in regards to soil might not be entirely universal either.. here in Oregon we have really loamy soil, whereas in Texas it's going to be a more sandy clay type of soil. So you eating it hard into a patch of dirt in your region might not taste the same as it does to me.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Before life arose on this planet of ours, there was no dirt, or mud. There was only boulders, rocks, and sand. Think of dirt as the "compost of ancestors" of every living species in that area.

Also, there is a subculture of weirdos who go in for using dirt as either a seasoning or main ingredient on their food.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jul 24, 2021
On a side note, I once read a whisky review where one of the terms used to describe the taste was: decomposed leaves.
I was perplexed. Has this person been eating decomposed leaves and if so, is it a good taste?
I think “decomposed leaves” is a pretty good description of what I interpret as “earthy”. I used to hunt a lot and I would buy “earthy” discs to cover my scent…it smelt like decomposing leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.