PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Can someone explain to me what "earthy" means? I see this in reviews all the time. I have no idea what this means.

Some say Cuban cigars are "earthy" or burley is "earthy". What on Earth does this mean?

Mar 1, 2014
Can someone explain to me what "earthy" means? I see this in reviews all the time. I have no idea what this means.

Some say Cuban cigars are "earthy" or burley is "earthy". What on Earth does this mean?
Pretty much what it sounds like, tastes like dirt, wet carbon, is one of the most common flavors in smoke.
I've always found it bizarre that people would pursue this flavor but with most types of tobacco that's just what you get, and I guess it's better than just puffing on empty hot air.

"Earthy" flavors are the reason I mostly avoid Burley, and I usually smoke Latakia or Aromatic blends.

Reactions: anotherbob

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
So it's like I was thinking. Soil and dirt.

Apparently this is a desired taste.

I have smoked plenty of cigars (Cuban and others) that were described as earthy, but this "earthy" thing still eludes me. Some taste full and robust. Some are smooth and some are peppery. Some have coffee or cocoa like notes. This I get, but "earthy"?

Is it like fresh soil one can buy for plants? Deep musty odor?

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
On a side note, I once read a whisky review where one of the terms used to describe the taste was: decomposed leaves.
I was perplexed. Has this person been eating decomposed leaves and if so, is it a good taste?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
So it's like I was thinking. Soil and dirt.

Apparently this is a desired taste.

I have smoked plenty of cigars (Cuban and others) that were described as earthy, but this "earthy" thing still eludes me. Some taste full and robust. Some are smooth and some are peppery. Some have coffee or cocoa like notes. This I get, but "earthy"?

Is it like fresh soil one can buy for plants? Deep musty odor?
If you're talking commercial potting soil, then no, as those (to me) usually smell of humic acid and various fertilizers. I've farmed and gardened numerous locations and am one of those people who smell dirt regularly to get an idea of soil health and general composition, so when I started cigars back in 2005, I immediately knew what "earthy" meant as it's nothing more than a representation of terroir. If I'm not looking for earthy notes in tobacco, however, they usually pass me by.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Being fortunate enough to never having tasted what the earth literally tastes like....... earthy with tobaccos means an aroma, sort of, like what it smells like after a rain on soil and ........ earth I guess?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The language in tobacco blend reviews often teeters between an analytical taste profile and how the blend makes you feel. In fairness, the senses of smell and taste are often connected to associations and memories, so evoke more images than data. So earthy maybe denotes woods, produce, minerals, creeks, and other aspects of the earth. How does that taste? Don't ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.