PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
So as per my recent posts, I’m working my way back to pipe smoking.

I’m on the hunt for that perfect blend, an all day smoke. I have heard a lot of good things about Peterson’s Early Morning Pipe and Chelsea Morning. I am looking for a nice introduction to English tobaccos; something with real flavour and not the disappointment I’ve had to aeros smelling great but no real flavour.

My only concern with EMP is I have read it can get a bit harsh and leaves the smoker smelling like a cigarette ash tray; not appealing.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on these blends. I just don’t want my other half to smell me and walk away cause I stink lol.

Thank you in advance for all your thoughts.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Anything with Latakia will make you pretty stinky, but you could try some aromatic english blends like sutliff aromatic english, burma road, or count pulaski, the country squires hunting creek or northwest trek.

I’d also recommend seattle pipe clubs plum pudding, or better yet the barrel aged version.

Those have both latakia and some sweetness, but are nowhere near the goopy mess that most “aromatics” are. The room note will be better anyway.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
all the glp english blends i have tried were great. westminster, odyssey, quiet nights.. i tried good number of them and they did not disappoint. meridian stood out for me. it's "savory" blend, but sweetness does come around sooner or later. very enjoyable.

Reactions: diamondback

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
EMP is great and I don't think the mustache note is half bad either. One of the few blends with Latakia I like enough to smoke.

Reactions: DIYpiper

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
You will likely get many replies telling you different English blends to try. Your best bet is to grab a tin and try it out, because what I get from the blend will differ from what you get from it. I will say this: EMP is a great middle-of-the-road English blend that isn’t weak and also isn’t overpowering like Nightcap and Star of the East.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
You will likely get many replies telling you different English blends to try. Your best bet is to grab a tin and try it out, because what I get from the blend will differ from what you get from it. I will say this: EMP is a great middle-of-the-road English blend that isn’t weak and also isn’t overpowering like Nightcap and Star of the East.
All too true. I have local b&m shops here so I can get into sampling bulk without breaking the bank but tins, like EMP, go for $50 a pop so trying to make sure I’m making an informed decision, but in truth at some point I’ll have to just bite the bullet and try it. Like you said though, everyone is differnet, I do appreciate the suggestions, at least gives me some direction :)

• Wow
Reactions: rushx9

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
All too true. I have local b&m shops here so I can get into sampling bulk without breaking the bank but tins, like EMP, go for $50 a pop so trying to make sure I’m making an informed decision, but in truth at some point I’ll have to just bite the bullet and try it. Like you said though, everyone is differnet, I do appreciate the suggestions, at least gives me some direction :)
Sucker of Dicks!!!! $50? Jesus God, man, have any other canadians here given you advice on online options/tax rules/loopholes?

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Sucker of Dicks!!!! $50? Jesus God, man, have any other canadians here given you advice on online options/tax rules/loopholes?
Bahaha what does a guy even say to that intro hahaha!

(Wipes away tear) Okay, so kinda but not really? So I have heard online is the way to go, but when it comes to CDN customs, sometimes they catch it and tax you to death, sometimes they don’t. I hear rumors of under so many oz they’ll let it slide, which I tested and still got taxed. I am open to suggestions /loopholes and the like, as no joke, EMP locally is $50/tin. I am sure the guy heard my jaw hit the floor when he told me the price.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Might be worth it to take a road trip to Spokane, Washington and pay retail prices once a year or so.
I have a trip to Arazona coming up in Feb. where I hope to come back with a few tins. Still need to be careful though as anything over about 7oz I can be taxed on. Granted still a little cheaper to pay the tax than CDN b&m retail.

Reactions: litup

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have a trip to Arazona coming up in Feb. where I hope to come back with a few tins. Still need to be careful though as anything over about 7oz I can be taxed on. Granted still a little cheaper to pay the tax than CDN b&m retail.

What about having someone in the states order online for you and then mailing it across? Is that as scrutinized as ordering online in person?

PS had a memorable night once in Beaverlodge, Alberta in 2005. GF at the time and I were driving her shit up here from Pennsylvania, ended up partying at a (the?) bar, with a bunch of oilfield goons, smoking various things, and almost setting our tent on fire. I won’t ever forget Beaverlodge.

Last edited:
Reactions: seanv and chopper

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
What about having someone in the states order online for you and then mailing it across? Is that as scrutinized as ordering online in person?

PS had a memorable night once in Beaverlodge, Alberta in 2005. GF at the time and I were driving her shit up here from Pennsylvania, ended up partying at a (the?) bar, with a bunch of oilfield goons, smoking various things, and almost setting our tent on fire. I won’t ever forget Beaverlodge.
Funny you would mention that as this whole discussion kinda got me thinking and I began wondering the same thing.

I’d say the likelyhood of it sneaking through may be higher, but hard to say for sure. I was thinking about mailing some across from the US when we hit Arazona from my gf’s parents place and see if I have any luck.

Beverlodge, damn you were way north haha! Glad to hear Alberta left a lasting impression!

indoeuro

Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Presbyterian Mixture is my all day smoke.
When I don't get distracted by all the other blends in my closet, that is.
Look at the Drucquer & Sons line by Greg Pease, as well. If I'm going to get distracted - and I am - it's usually by one of those.

indoeuro

Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Now that I think of it, Missouri Meerschaum has an American/English crossover called American Patriot that's really quite good. From the website:
"This is a Latakia-based blend enhanced by quality Virginia leaf and the exotic influence of Turkish Smyrna, with just a touch of Burley for excellent burning characteristics. A light top note of Kentucky Bourbon makes for a nice addition to the aroma, but is undetectable in the flavor."

Reactions: rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.