PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Funny you would mention that as this whole discussion kinda got me thinking and I began wondering the same thing.

I’d say the likelyhood of it sneaking through may be higher, but hard to say for sure. I was thinking about mailing some across from the US when we hit Arazona from my gf’s parents place and see if I have any luck.

Beverlodge, damn you were way north haha! Glad to hear Alberta left a lasting impression!

Haha, well for us it's a 1,600 mile drive South! (Actually, really southeast) It's all about perspective, hahaha.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Funny you would mention that as this whole discussion kinda got me thinking and I began wondering the same thing.

I’d say the likelyhood of it sneaking through may be higher, but hard to say for sure. I was thinking about mailing some across from the US when we hit Arazona from my gf’s parents place and see if I have any luck.

Beverlodge, damn you were way north haha! Glad to hear Alberta left a lasting impression!
You shouldn't have to mail it. If you're crossing from the US and have been outside Canada for more than 48 hours, which would be the case for you, you can bring in ALL of the following: up to 7 ounces of pipe tobacco, 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, and 200 tobacco sticks (I still don't know what these are, really).

Those are personal exemptions, so any adult traveling with you can claim the same as well. If you're accompanied by your girlfriend, she could claim a similar package and you'd be bringing in twice as much.

Reactions: vates and litup

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Bahaha what does a guy even say to that intro hahaha!

(Wipes away tear) Okay, so kinda but not really? So I have heard online is the way to go, but when it comes to CDN customs, sometimes they catch it and tax you to death, sometimes they don’t. I hear rumors of under so many oz they’ll let it slide, which I tested and still got taxed. I am open to suggestions /loopholes and the like, as no joke, EMP locally is $50/tin. I am sure the guy heard my jaw hit the floor when he told me the price.

$50 a tin? Yeah that's a bit savage.
Here in Nanny State Australia it's over $110 for a 50g tin/pouch. Not that I could find EMP or anything else half decent since the introduction of plain packaging with the disgusting pics.

They made it illegal to import tobacco without a license so I'd suggest that you stock up while you can before Canada thinks it's also a great idea.
Jar your tobacco & it will stay fine for many years. Blends with VA only get better.

When you order online don't use DHL or any other private carrier because they get closer scrutiny than a nations postal service [I've no idea why]

You're better off ordering by the pound. If they find your stash just ignore the duty letter [If it works similarly to Oz they'll just destroy your order if it goes unpaid] 1 out of 4 was the usual interception rate. During busy times like Easter & Christmas most got through unmolested.
Orders of tinned baccy got intercepted way more often than bulk orders. Not sure why.

Here in Oz before it became illegal to import baccy, one had to get a few parcels intercepted in a week to end up on Customs alert list.

Your fellow Canadians should be able to tell you how it works there.

Good luck.

P.S. I'd also recommend Count Pulaski. Sutliff Early Morning Pipe match is also rather good.
Both are mild to medium with mild nicotine.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
You're better off ordering by the pound. If they find your stash just ignore the duty letter [If it works similarly to Oz they'll just destroy your order if it goes unpaid]

I would caution against this advice. If you refuse to pay duty here, the package gets sent back to the retailer, I believe at their expense. Some retailers have stopped shipping internationally due to customers refusing duty payments. It wouldn’t be good to impose these costs on others, or to convince retailers to strike Canada off their list of supported destinations.

Also there are specific limits you can import to Canada as a private citizen versus a licensed tobacco retailer. You might want to look these limits up to avoid triggering them.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
I would caution against this advice. If you refuse to pay duty here, the package gets sent back to the retailer, I believe at their expense. Some retailers have stopped shipping internationally due to customers refusing duty payments. It wouldn’t be good to impose these costs on others, or to convince retailers to strike Canada off their list of supported destinations.

Also there are specific limits you can import to Canada as a private citizen versus a licensed tobacco retailer. You might want to look these limits up to avoid triggering them.

First I think almost died when I read $150 a tin in Australia; and I thought Canada was bad. Making it illegal to import is beyond ridiculous and an infringement on a person’s rights.

I agree stocking up when a guy finds a good blend is not a bad idea. Not sure what the best option is for importing and avoiding getting murdered on taxes. I’ve had a few ideas sent my way; guess I test and see what works. I don’t want to deny to many shipments as it still costs me shipping and I have nothing to show for it.

What is the best way to cellar your tobacco? How long will it keep?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and chopper

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
If you are travelling with your gf and she had no interest in buying other tobacco products, you can both bring back 7 oz. of pipe tobacco. When my wife and I travel to the States we always bring back 14 oz. No need to tell customs she might not smoke her entire 7 oz. When my wife travels to the States and I am unable to go she always brings back pipe tobacco.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019

Thanks for clarifying [why I suggested to check how the Canadian system works]

Were I in the same position, I'd be only too happy to pay the retailer for the additional postage if intercepted by Customs.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
First I think almost died when I read $150 a tin in Australia; and I thought Canada was bad. Making it illegal to import is beyond ridiculous and an infringement on a person’s rights.

I agree stocking up when a guy finds a good blend is not a bad idea. Not sure what the best option is for importing and avoiding getting murdered on taxes. I’ve had a few ideas sent my way; guess I test and see what works. I don’t want to deny to many shipments as it still costs me shipping and I have nothing to show for it.

What is the best way to cellar your tobacco? How long will it keep?
$150?!? lol No, I wrote over $110. Some blends are closer to $120. The taxes are contemptible.
Now it's not unusual to see people scrounging cigarette butts.
It's sad & infuriating when I see old age pensioners searching their pockets & purses for enough money to buy one or two cigarettes.

The Canadian system sounds quite different to ours. Last July it became illegal to import tobacco here. I've had 5lbs get through since with one interception.

Have you considered growing your own tobacco? It's a steep learning curve for sure but not hard.
The owner of www.fairtradetobacco.com has seeds for sale. [Also lots of advice on growing/drying/curing/pressing etc] I like low nicotine mild blends so I'm growing Virginias & Orientals next year.
This year I'm growing Burley because it was the only seed I had. I'll be turning that into Cavendish to leach out the nicotine. [My ground is clay so I grow in large pots]

Tobacco plants grow slowly from germination to seedling - once transplanted the growth rate quickens - so one needs to have seedlings ready to plant after the last frost. Most growers start germinating inside under a light [a household CFL cool/white bulb will do] around this time in the Northern Hemisphere.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Casual

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thanks for clarifying [why I suggested to check how the Canadian system works]

Were I in the same position, I'd be only too happy to pay the retailer for the additional postage if intercepted by Customs.
It just occurred to me; my success rate outside of peak mail times such as Christmas [when everything gets through, lol] was 1 out of every 4 orders were intercepted. At that rate, considering the Canadian system, I'd pay the duty.
If 3 orders are getting through unmolested, then averaged out you'd still be way in front.

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
People often think that they need to transition into English blends, but I have found that a lot don't. Sometimes they love it right off the bat.
I don't know if it is technically an English blend, but black frigate is a good introductory blend for people who want to ease into latakia from aromatics. Presbyterian mixture is a good choice for all day English blends, I believe it is mostly Virginias and the latakia is more of a topping.
Finally, I suggest getting your hands on some of the classic English blends. For instance, Samuel Gawith's Commonwealth Mixture is about 50/50 Latakia and Virginia. It sounds intimidating but it is actually very smooth and smokeable. Latakia has a distinct flavor but isn't necessarily a "strong tobacco'. My fiance doesn't smoke pipes but occasionally will ask for a little puff of my pipe out of curiosity. She actually liked it a lot.

Thepipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2020
WV
If you're excited about it and curious, pick up a tin. I would try some bulk English blends like Peter Stokkebye English Luxury, and even P.S. Proper English even though it has a little bit more Latakia. Pipes and Cigars sell a lot of the Dunhill/Peterson match blends really cheap, but I am not going to say that they are really the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.