PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Yeh, everything seemed to take a shift towards sh*t around the same period it seems.
I have no access to any Ashtons or GLP unfortunately- it’s Peterson/Dunhill, Gawith and Hoggarth, Sam Gawith or Germain’s. I might as well fly to the moon to get my tobacco if I’m relying on being able to buy any Germain’s, hence why they aren’t taking part in this discussion. ✌?
Your in the uk aren’t you?
No problem getting Ashton Artisan Blend
mysmoking shop.co.uk

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
There's far better English blends than the two you're asking about. Skiff, Commonwealth, Exmoor, 1820 Flake & SLF. HU do some excellent ones too. Zulu, Fayuum, Olaf's favourite English, just to name a few. Just my opinion though, gained by trying all the different blends for myself over the years. You'll have to do the same to get your own favourites Franco.

Reactions: JOHN72

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
There's far better English blends than the two you're asking about. Skiff, Commonwealth, Exmoor, 1820 Flake & SLF. HU do some excellent ones too. Zulu, Fayuum, Olaf's favourite English, just to name a few. Just my opinion though, gained by trying all the different blends for myself over the years. You'll have to do the same to get your own favourites Franco.
Zulu is one I’ve yet to try but it sounds very tasty

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Out of stock!
True enough but I’ve got to start somewhere and it seems prudent to ask for recommendations.

As it stands My Mixture 965 is tweaking my interest more than NC or EMP. ?‍♂️

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Which one do you prefer and why?

I know this is subjective to each smoker, time of day, drink being paired with it, if Jupiter is in alignment with Mars etc etc but which do you prefer?

I know I’m going to end up buying both but which one should I buy first?

I’ve wandered through the Lakeland’s and now I’m going to try the English blends.

I’m open to other English blend suggestions - Squadron Leader, Royal Yacht? - so which one is the best for you?
I enjoy both, but I smoked EMP almost exclusively for a while last Fall. It’s a great anytime smoke. If you’re new to English blends then EMP might be a good option to try first between the two since it is lighter.

Reactions: Franco Pipenbeans

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Nightcap is a Latakia lover's dream smoke. Rich, Balkany, and fills the air with smoke. It will put a real buss on you if you aren't careful. EMP is a quality smoke in its own right but not near the caliber of Nightcap IMO.
IMHO both Night Cap and Emp are superior to 965.
^^This, except I would say EMP is not of a lower caliber, just of a lower strength. It is a great lighter bodied and flavored English.

AS for Royal Yacht, like Embers noted, it has no latakia so it is a bird of a different feather. It does have a history of being a polarizing blend. Some absolutely hate it. I am in the other camp and absolutely love it.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Well, that didn’t pan out as expected.

I went into a small B&M on my way homethat has lots of loose Gawith and Hoggarth blends but very few tins. No Nightcap or Early Morning Pipe but they did have some Peterson’s Special Cut, Royal Yacht and…

View attachment 161239

so I bought it. ?

Go in for a Latakia blend, come out with a tin of aromatic which isn’t bad at all really but is at the opposite end of the baccy spectrum entirely; I guess the NC or EMP will have to wait for another time the tobacco itch needs scratching.

On the plus side; I’ve got something new to try, I’ve put a few £’s into a small tobacconists and kept them going for another five minutes so not all bad. You never know, De Luxe Mixture might become my #1…I doubt it but you never know.
Always support your local B&M even if its just cleaners and the occasional Cob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never had EMP so I can't compare, but Nightcap is a pleasant fairly strong English I enjoy, but I think I like C&D Bayou Night and Stratfordshire (for examples) a little better.

I recommend both Squadron Leader and Royal Yacht, but for different reasons. Royal Yacht is a Virginia aromatic with an iconic flavor, maybe plum; it's polarizing, but tasty to me, and worth trying. It gets so much flack, I expected something quite challenging, but it's readily enjoyable to me.

Squadron Leader is an elegant and refined blend. I was treated to a tin by a Forums member, and I took to it immediately. I think that's my next bowl.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Can’t believe nobody made the obvious pun: the difference is night and…morning :P

Nightcap for me, smoked it for 10 years, still love it to bits. EMP is far too soft for me, and 965 I found just meh. After having stopped liking Latakia for at least 1.5 years now, Nightcap is the one blend I will smoke through a tin without touching anything else.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
EMP in the morning is a daily smoke that I would never want to be without.
When I get near the bottom of the jar where the Latakia has settled I add C@D Izmir to bring it back to life confirming to me that EMP is an oriental forward English.
Night cap is the work of the devil,965 is too sweet and squadron leader is a wrong un! Iam still working through a five year old jar hoping that it improves.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
This thread helped me to open a new can of Peterson Standard Mixture. 965 will have to wait for fall, too much humidity and heat now.