PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Not a fan of Latakia on the whole, but the Charatan replacement for EMP (First Bowl I think it's called) is actually pretty good & available in the UK.

I hated Royal Yacht when I first tried it, but now I smoke a fair bit. For me it's one of those blends that transform if the tin has been open for a month. So I crack the seal on the next one whenever I start a new tin.

Reactions: JOHN72

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Never had EMP so I can't compare, but Nightcap is a pleasant fairly strong English I enjoy, but I think I like C&D Bayou Night and Stratfordshire (for examples) a little better.

I recommend both Squadron Leader and Royal Yacht, but for different reasons. Royal Yacht is a Virginia aromatic with an iconic flavor, maybe plum; it's polarizing, but tasty to me, and worth trying. It gets so much flack, I expected something quite challenging, but it's readily enjoyable to me.

Squadron Leader is an elegant and refined blend. I was treated to a tin by a Forums member, and I took to it immediately. I think that's my next bowl.
Yeah bayou night is it’s own animal all together , now I got to try bayou morning , I agree there is something really refined and smooth about squadron leader , had a bowl last night super smooth and nuanced a new favorite for sure…

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
EMP is way too low in nicotine and its the only Dunhill blend I won't buy again. It isn't bursting with flavour and its just a bit flat.. for me.
Think that’s why it’s called early morning pipe , so you can get back to your Irish xx rope after breakfast ?
but Seriously after a couple bowls of that and black coffee
I smoke 5 bros and OJK all day unless I’m hung over then all bets are off and I start the day with 5 bros right away

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Which one do you prefer and why?

I know this is subjective to each smoker, time of day, drink being paired with it, if Jupiter is in alignment with Mars etc etc but which do you prefer?

I know I’m going to end up buying both but which one should I buy first?

I’ve wandered through the Lakeland’s and now I’m going to try the English blends.

I’m open to other English blend suggestions - Squadron Leader, Royal Yacht? - so which one is the best for you?
On an FFA trip to Kansas City in 1973 I first discovered those famous Dunhill blends.

I prefer Nightcap.

It was many years of pipe smoking before I wanted an Early Morning Pipe.:)

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Update: on a recommendation I purchased a sampler of SG’s “English/Balkan” flakes - Bothy, Sam’s, 1792, Balkan flakes.

I’ve had 1792 for quite some time now and I’m not sure I would put it into the “English/Balkan” blend to be honest? I always thought that this was one of those blends that sits on it’s on own on the tobacco spectrum with very few coming close to it’s uniqueness?

I read, elsewhere, that someone recommended putting some coffee beans into the jar, to help “round out the flavour” so I’m trying that, to see if that adds anything to the mix.

The Sam’s Flake I thought was nice enough, quite subtle when compared to the Balkan, which slapped me round the face with a cold fish of smokiness I didn’t find massively appealing - it might be a grower?

I haven’t tried the Bothy yet but I note it is a Marmite blend it seems - some absolutely love it and others wouldn’t use it for bedding in the hamster’s cage! 😆

Anyway, the quest continues.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Yeah that 1792 is definitely it’s own animal not considered an English by any means , it’s Virginia and dark fired Kentucky, in the Burley family , it’s got Tonquin Bean in it and it’s very strong. I have some Balkan Flake in a jar I should try it , yeah the Latakia is very smoky an acquired taste different blends have different amounts. Looks like you’ve expanded your horizons, keep it up and maybe smoke some of those different tobaccos in different pipes so you get the right flavors. I noticed the Tonquin bean in the 1792 ghosted one of my burley pipes recently and that’s all I smoke in that pipe or a straight burley but I still taste that Tonquin now. And Latakia heavy blends will leave that taste in a pipe for awhile depending how much Latakia is in the blend…

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Certainly you've got it under control by now, but back then, if I was still searching the genre, I probably would have fared better by starting with EMP before Nightcap. Looking back that's how it happened for me - so there's that.

I like both, have both in the cellar. Along with 965 and Old Dublin. I like them all, in slightly different ways.

Old Dublin was the bigger surprise for some reason, it was very appealing when I had a tin open. And went through 2 or 3 pretty quickly for my pace.

The only one Peterson I've tried that was "meh" was Standard. Still working on trying them all though.

And Squadron Leader is delicious. As well as many of the other recommendations you've gotten.

Buy them all! 😁 One by one if you must.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
They are opposite ends of the spectrum, so it all depends. Are you about to do some yard work or do you want something to tuck you into bed? ;)