PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

desrtrat68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Well, I only have 3 pipes and 2 of them are Country Gentleman cobs, then the Dublin I just picked up which has a little smaller bowl. I have no idea what bowl sizes there are. I don't know if I could sit still long enough to smoke a 3 hour bowl...or should I say there's no way my wife would let me sit on the porch for 3 hours doing nothing.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I work in a busy kitchen, which has led me back to cigarettes, snus, and snuff. I still enjoy my pipes, but things have changed, as they always have. I have been smoking my two largest pipes of late as well. I smoke each of them a couple times a week; a Roush billiard and a Cooke zulu. I've been smoking Escudo almost exclusively the past couple weeks.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Me too, Ray. For a while I was chain smoking during the height of the lockdown. Probably from being uneasy. I’ve cut back but, I’d like to be done with cigs once and for all. Trying to find my cig replacement blends. Got any recommendations?

Burley and cobs got me off cigarettes. Hardly a refined connoisseur's smoking experience, but it delivers plenty of smoke and nicotine. I've gotten to the point where I often go days without smoking anything at all. That said, I have no intention of ever completely quitting pipes and cigars. I have a hard time believing that they are very harmful if smoked in moderation, though of course that's an entirely different conversation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lately I've enjoyed packing up my larger pipes which I tend to smoke intermittently rather than in long sessions, but sometimes long sessions too. However, I still go back to medium size, and regular to small pipes too, for short smokes and sampling, etc. I had to learn to use small pipes, but now the whole range, the whole keyboard of sizes makes sense to me. I don't have a default size. They all have good uses.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I found it more difficult to give up the pipe for a month but that's because I had a relapse during the VE Day party in my cul-de-sac due to other people smoking roll-ups. Plus I wanted to show my redcoat uniform / cavalier hat off and this is why I had a smoke of my clay pipe!
I'm advised not to put roll your own cigarette tobacco in my clay pipes, but that's all I could get my hands on (apart from a half-smoked cigar) when I first bought them!
Clay pipe smoking re-enactors say I need some pipe baccy to smoke in them!
I'm giving up the pipe for a month as part of a fundraiser for Macmillan Cancer Support in memory of a friend who died of cancer.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Same as usual for me. My pipes are group 5 through ODA. But working at home has let me enjoy three pipe sessions a day instead of one and it has been glorious. I know and am sympathetic that the pandemic has negatively affected a lot of people but personally I've enjoyed it. Less driving, cheaper gas, work from home, more pipes - I'm one of the few not looking forward to life as usual though I know returning to two bowls a day will be good for me.

Last edited:

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
5 Brothers works for me. I've also recently found that Daughters & Ryan Ryback is a good blend to get off the cigs.
To my understanding, 5 bros is the jet fuel of pipe tobacco. That’s why I have been intimidated to a degree about smoking it. May have to face my demons and order a pouch of it and see what happens. puffy

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
I am smoking more and going thru a good rotation of my pipes, I only chew tobacco at work. But it has nothing to do with things going on I have decided to not watch the news about anything but the weather to keep my blood pressure down.
Amen on not watching the news, brother! I went on a news crash diet and only watch car shows, cartoons, 1950’s-1980’s sitcoms, and old game shows. I may not know wha’s ”going on” but, my attitude and outlook has improved.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
Burley and cobs got me off cigarettes. Hardly a refined connoisseur's smoking experience, but it delivers plenty of smoke and nicotine. I've gotten to the point where I often go days without smoking anything at all. That said, I have no intention of ever completely quitting pipes and cigars. I have a hard time believing that they are very harmful if smoked in moderation, though of course that's an entirely different conversation.
Good to know. I’ve been breaking in a new MM Cob with a big tin of SWRA. Time to upgrade to a straight Burley.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Good to know. I’ve been breaking in a new MM Cob with a big tin of SWRA. Time to upgrade to a straight Burley.

:ROFLMAO: By "cobs and burley" I meant burley blend of your choice, not straight burley. SWRA probably qualifies, though as I understand it's more topped / cased than most other OTC burley blends.

I personally like Carter Hall and Lane Ready Rubbed, as well as Russ's Hearth & Home Chatham Manor. C&D Pegasus is another very good one. All good choices. I just mention these because I've tried SWR and Prince Albert and did not care for them as much as the aforementioned blends, though SWR and PA have their fans as well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I found a stash of 2002 Solani 633 so I will be showing it no mercy. I am smoking what ever I find that has some serious age along with as many as 6 bowls a day. Ya never know when your number is up so nothing is sacred in my cellar except one tin. I really need to find my stash of 2012-2012-2013 Wessex Gold Brick. I haven't seen it for years.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I've mentioned here before several times, the late great fish'n'banjo put me onto small pipes, which I'd always seen as souvenirs or toys. His recommendation got me to try one, an Old Dominion cob, and now I have a row of various kinds (though I don't happen to keep them in a row}. I use them for sampling, taking the measure of really strong tobaccos, smoking in limited time slots, or getting an average length bowl from flake, coin, plug, or rope. Needless to say, you can't beat them for comfort when it comes to clenching. I have a Pete Belgique, an EWA churchwarden, pocket pipes by Stanwell and Jerry Perry, an Iwan Ries house pipe near-Oom-Paul made by Benton, a Scott Klein prince, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting.

Reactions: Lyle b
Aug 1, 2012
To my understanding, 5 bros is the jet fuel of pipe tobacco. That’s why I have been intimidated to a degree about smoking it. May have to face my demons and order a pouch of it and see what happens. puffy
I am a weenie when it comes to nicotine (which is strange considering one of my favorite blends is Nightcap) and I really enjoy 5 Brothers. Just smoke it a little slower than it wants to be smoked (it's a fast burning blend when it wants to be) and in a small to medium sized pipe and you'll be fine.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
As I've mentioned here before several times, the late great fish'n'banjo put me onto small pipes, which I'd always seen as souvenirs or toys. His recommendation got me to try one, an Old Dominion cob, and now I have a row of various kinds (though I don't happen to keep them in a row}. I use them for sampling, taking the measure of really strong tobaccos, smoking in limited time slots, or getting an average length bowl from flake, coin, plug, or rope. Needless to say, you can't beat them for comfort when it comes to clenching. I have a Pete Belgique, an EWA churchwarden, pocket pipes by Stanwell and Jerry Perry, an Iwan Ries house pipe near-Oom-Paul made by Benton, a Scott Klein prince, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting.
Hav 2 peterson tankards , my fav at the moment , closely followed by a bigger peterson 2018 Christmas pipe for longer after dina enjoyment he he

Reactions: mso489