PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
And yes, it does have a discernible durian flavour, but not strong enough to put off those who are not addicted to this "King of Asian Fruit"
I fail to see the point of eating this then
Another durian-flavoured product. Made in Canberra, Oz, but only available in Singapore. I think they bought out the whole batch.

View attachment 130183
Local wags in MY and SG are going to tell you that durian + hard liquor = death!
We get none of the weird, cool, Kit Kat bars easily here in the US. I was gifted a Sake one that was very good a year or two ago.
Oh, that sounds good!

I recently bought a small box of frozen Musang King for US$25 for CNY. Half were quite bitter, my favorite durian taste, apart from alcohol, so I was very happy. My American born son won't eat it but my daughter, also American born, loves it. I really don't miss it that much (I prefer mangosteen), but it was my otherwise very austere mother's favorite food. She always bought some the moment the season started when the durians were most expensive. Eating it reminds me of her. More than anything, it's a nostalgic indulgence for me.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I like the tiger! Years ago when I was living in China for a year there was everything available in cantaloupe flavour, mentos, kit kat, wafer biscuits...the kit kat was my favourite.
There's a Korean ice cream brand Melona that's available in the States that has not cantaloupe, but honey melon, ice cream bars that taste like the real thing. It's excellent and very much recommended.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Local wags in MY and SG are going to tell you that durian + hard liquor = death!
That's a much repeated myth from my childhood !
BTW, I have not tested the veracity of this personally, so don't take my word seriously. ?
I recently bought a small box of frozen Musang King for US$25 for CNY. Half were quite bitter, my favorite durian taste, apart from alcohol, so I was very happy. My American born son won't eat it but my daughter, also American born, loves it. I really don't miss it that much (I prefer mangosteen), but it was my otherwise very austere mother's favorite food. She always bought some the moment the season started when the durians were most expensive. Eating it reminds me of her. More than anything, it's a nostalgic indulgence for me.

Reactions: kcghost

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That's a much repeated myth from my childhood !
BTW, I have not tested the veracity of this personally, so don't take my word seriously. ?
I come from a durian loving family and can remember durian-buying trips with my parents going to various kampongs (villages) in the hills and filling up the boot of the family car. There were a few trips where we kids did the trip home with our knees to our chins because dad had not only filled up the boot, but the passenger leg spaces with durians and we kids didn' want to get our feet spiked by the durians.

Mangosteen seasons always coincide with the durian season. I love mangosteens, but they come a distant second to durian. I was always too full after pigging-out on durian to fit in mangosteens after our epic durian-eating sessions?

Some enterprising orchardists are growing durian and mangosteen up in northern Australia. At the start of the local mangosteen season, I have seen them selling for AUD 3-4 EACH ! A regal price for the Queen of M'sian fruit.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
What? Is this a joke on China? Since no one's yelling at all those winter Olympic regularities, giving them poop smelling KitKats and calling it special release?
Unfortunately the sheer size of the population in China gives them tremendous buying clout.
A few years ago the Malaysians were up in arms because China bought up such a huge portion of the durian crop that prices in Malaysia tripled overnight for the in-demand varieties
eg musang king (a musang is the Malaysian cat with a very pungent scent).

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Absolutely LOVE Durian, a Chinese friend was always finding it hilarious, said I am the first “Caucasian” she met that likes it.
Back when I was living in Malaysia, we had Scottish neighbours. The husband loved durians and was often the instigator of my Dad's durian foraging trips.
He was the 1st Caucasian durian aficionado I'd encountered.

On the other hand, my 2 food&wine travelling companions(both Caucasian), on a recent trip to Singapore, refused to get within 100m of the durian stall we encountered (smelt well before sighting) in the S'pore Chinatown precinct..

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
People overreact on purpose due to its reputation. To me a good ripe Durian tastes like Amaretto-flavoured custard, with a light onion/sulphur aftertaste. It’s a odd combination but I never found it unpleasant, even the first time I tried it. Very expensive too (paid about 30 euros for 400g of it frozen in Greece). When I lived in the UK I always made a point to visit Chinatown in London, you knew if fresh Durians were to be found from the smell, just follow your nose until you find the right stall :) some people go mental for the super ripe ones that crack open on their own, the sugars are often a bit fermented and turned to alcohol. For my taste the best is a hint before that happens.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
People overreact on purpose due to its reputation. To me a good ripe Durian tastes like Amaretto-flavoured custard, with a light onion/sulphur aftertaste. It’s a odd combination but I never found it unpleasant, even the first time I tried it. Very expensive too (paid about 30 euros for 400g of it frozen in Greece). When I lived in the UK I always made a point to visit Chinatown in London, you knew if fresh Durians were to be found from the smell, just follow your nose until you find the right stall :) some people go mental for the super ripe ones that crack open on their own, the sugars are often a bit fermented and turned to alcohol. For my taste the best is a hint before that happens.
Very much like washed-rind cheese.
Once you get past the aroma, the taste is heavenly

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Berwick St market used to be a good place to find them; sometimes popped down there from the office at lunchtime with a Malaysian colleague. She was an expert at tracking down the good ones!