Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My Dunhill 151 arrived back home last night and I was completely surprised by how shiny the new vulcanite stem looks. My first thought was it looked like a high quality acrylic stem. Personally, I have never seen a vulcanite stem look that highly polished. George is amazing and well worth the money.
Dun151.jpg
Dun151_stem.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Briarville.com New dunhill stem with white dot is 40 dollars.

OK.

Because we're all in it together I have engaged in a bit of willful blindness regarding implied false equivalences like this, but this crosses the line.

Yes, a stem with a white dot can be made for $40, but unless its maker is happy working for a tiny fraction of minimum wage and giving away German rod stock, the result will emphatically NOT be indistinguishable from an original.

Tacking a comment such as the above on the end of a project thread where the result WAS indistinguishable from the original is ignorant at best, and deliberately deceptive at worst.

I have seen and handled your stuff, Ric (or Joe), and it is categorically NOT collectable-grade work. Not even close.

Please stop implying it is with comment ju-jitsu of this kind. This board sees many newcomers who have yet to discover the many layers of the PipeWorld. Don't make their journey any more painful than it needs to be, OK?

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
OK.

Because we're all in it together I have engaged in a bit of willful blindness regarding implied false equivalences like this, but this crosses the line.

Yes, a stem with a white dot can be made for $40, but unless its maker is happy working for a tiny fraction of minimum wage and giving away German rod stock, the result will emphatically NOT be indistinguishable from an original.

Tacking a comment such as the above on the end of a project thread where the result WAS indistinguishable from the original is ignorant at best, and deliberately deceptive at worst.

I have seen and handled your stuff, Ric (or Joe), and it is categorically NOT collectable-grade work. Not even close.

Please stop implying it is with comment ju-jitsu of this kind. This board sees many newcomers who have yet to discover the many layers of the PipeWorld. Don't make their journey any more painful than it needs to be, OK?
@Briarville
Thanks for providing repair services to the community. Modesty is a virtue. I have seen some of your work and it does not compare to George.

@georged
Thanks for your work on my Rad author. Even Rad spoke very highly of the results. Sorry to hear another member trying to downrate your work and compare.

Briarville

Lurker
Nov 10, 2019
OK.

Hey Georged,
I bought briarville from Ric over a year ago. And yes a 40 dollar stem is not going to be an original Dunhill. I am actually in the process of becoming a Dunhill authorized repair shop. Once that takes place I will be fitting pipes with original dunhill stock and the dot will be original dunhill as well. I will keep you posted. I like to think my work is stellar as I have had nothing but great feedback. I guarantee all my work.
Thank you for your thoughts, I always accept constructive criticism.
Rich

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
1 --- Will you be grinding shanks to level? (That's a direct yes or no question... no dodging, no waffling)

2 --- How closely does a new stem's profile have to match the original to be considered acceptable?

3 --- And by whom? You? The pipe's owner? An experieced and knowledgeable collector?

4 --- And what, exactly, will be "guaranteed"? Satisfaction? If so, WHOSE satisfaction?

5 --- The phrase "Original materials supplied by The White Spot people" is semantically null. They have never manufactured what they use, but purchase the same stuff anyone on the planet can.

6 --- Finally, Rich who? The Briarville site info is apparently over a year out of date. Have we met?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Rich ---

It occurred to me after logging off last night that when it comes to subjects like this words are irrelevant. Who bought what company, who authorized this or that, what a "guarantee" means, original materials, hyperbolic praise, personal confidence, and so forth have nothing whatsoever to do with the only thing that DOES matter when physical objects are the subject:

3-D reality.

It is infinitely quantifiable and does not lie.

In fact, replacement stems are fundamentally different from even making new stems for new pipes where creativity plays a major role. Replacements are replicas by definition, and therefore the easiest possible thing to evaluate.

So, let's see some. A few high quality, side-by-side photos of an original stem and its replacement for projects you've already completed. $40 ones or not, doesn't matter.

I'm both personally curious and excited to possibly have someone to refer work to. I'm forced to decline more jobs than I can accept, and the only guy I can unreservedly recommend for collectable caliber work---Anthony Cook---is presently unable to accept new jobs as well. (He'll be back, though, just needs to get caught up.)

btw, if you try to attach pics and discover that this site can't handle photos as large as you're trying to upload, no worries, there is one that does and is accessible by anybody. It's called the Pipemaker's Forum. (Its founder figured that since imagery was essential to the site's mission that unlimited photos should be part of the package.)

George

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
LOL this is a big money opportunity for me too, I can charge everybody a hundred bucks for a stem, get it done for 40, and save on customs fees to boot.

• Haha
Reactions: hawky454

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Doesn't Dunhill already have an authorized repair service in the US? Somewhere in Florida? As I recall, the level from that service could be somewhat variable.
We could use more top notch craftsmen like George and Anthony, but it's a demanding gig that has to run on passion rather than financial return, so that's a hard sell.
To be honest, I'd have to see a couple of dozen examples of quality work as well as a bevy of highly approving customer reviews before I'd be entrusting any of my pieces to a repair service.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
LOL this is a big money opportunity for me too, I can charge everybody a hundred bucks for a stem, get it done for 40, and save on customs fees to boot.

And people laugh when I tell 'em that that good natured thing is just how Canadisians get the rest of the world to lower its guard.

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 4.22.59 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: hawky454 and BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Rich Lewis is a world class pipe maker/
Repair man who has been at this for many decades. I highly recommend him. Prices are extremely reasonable too.

I’ve used Rich Lewis for repairs in the past and his work is top notch. His shop is only a few miles down the road from me, so it’s also very convenient for me.

Reactions: BROBS and Papamique

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Classy... ?
ron-burgundy-2.jpg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Classy... ?

Promoting his own site broke the rules, that's why it was deleted. It is rule #1 actually. Which means he didn't bother to read any of them. Also, he only had 2 posts and in both of them he posted his website.

1. Commercial Posts

We do not allow commercial postings in the forums as it is not fair to our advertisers, and it is not the purpose for the forums.

The purpose of the forums is to foster a community where online friends with similar interests can virtually hangout and discuss things.

It is not a venue for trying to get business. (Putting a link to your website falls under this.)

We want people to join in the discussion; to ask questions, give answers, and create conversation.

UPDATE: July 3, 2012 - Posts such as "Check out the cool pipes / tampers / (whatever) I made" even if they are not offering the items for sale, even if you are just saying, "Hey, I made some pipes and need feedback to improve my skills, and I am not really offering to sell anything, blah, blah, blah ..." You need to have at least 50 "real posts" along with all the other rules.

PipesMagazine.com cannot be used just as a means to promote your own web site, blog, YouTube Channel, Facebook Page, or any other outside landing page.

A blog post or a forum post that is one to a few sentences that are just a lead-in to an outbound link is blatant promotion, or spam. It does nothing to add value to our site, does not enhance the user experience, and is not a participation in the community on the site.
These type of posts will be deleted.

You get two warnings and then you are banned.

Our paid advertisers are allowed to make some occasional commercial posts.

1a. (Update March 4, 2012) - Solicitation via Private Message

The Private Message system may not be used for solicitation of any kind. This is considered spam and is prohibited.

1b. (Update September 1, 2012) - Contests Not Allowed

Members are not allowed to create and promote their own contests on this site because of legal liability. Any such posts will be promptly deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.