PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Send to Dunhill (White Spot. The Walthamstow site, London).

They did and still do original mouthpieces to replacements, as structural repairs (when possible), and those repairs are simply amazing.

In my opinion, it is worth getting an original Dunhill stem. Last time costed 50 £ (may vary, of course).

Talk to Charlene from Dunhill Costumer service:

charlene.boakye@dunhill.com

Best.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Send to Dunhill (White Spot. The Walthamstow site, London).
I've seen a fair number of pipes that were re-stemmed by Dunhill.

The quality of the work varied more than one would expect. One example was outright unacceptable. (The shank had been taped, and the stem levelled only TO the tape, which left a sharp step at the stam/shank joint).

More important in this case, though, is that the OP's pipe is almost a century old. The "house style" used for stems has changed several times over the years, but the current Dunhill shop pays no attention to such things.

It will be a genuine Dunhill stem, in other words, but one that's cut the way they cut them today. To a collector, it will look like a Corvette fender bolted to a Model A Ford.

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
With all due respect, I don't agree with that. It's a factory is the thing is not so random like that.

I refuse to believe that Dunhill will replace a mouthpiece disregarding the original forms — it doesn't make sense for me.

It's an original Dunhill mouthpiece and it will look like a Dunhill with a Dunhill stem.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
George does all of the precision restoration work on my rare pieces, including making historically accurate stems. Nobody, absolutely nobody, does this better than George. If George was unavailable there's only one other service I would recommend for restoration services on highly collectible rare vintage pipes, and that would be Anthony Cook. Personally, I don't give a damn about "original". I care about correctness and quality.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
With all due respect, I don't agree with that. It's a factory is the thing is not so random like that.

I refuse to believe that Dunhill will replace a mouthpiece disregarding the original forms — it doesn't make sense for me.

It's an original Dunhill mouthpiece and it will look like a Dunhill with a Dunhill stem.

Another reminder that humans believe to be true those things which make them feel happy.

Whether or not they actually are true is irrelevant.

Some pithy reading about the phenomenon can be found here:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I think the real question is, if you are going to the trouble of making a new stem, around you going to go with just a black stem with plain white dot or will you jazz it up a but Tritium or Super-LumiNova dot for a high tech watch like look or have george install neon under glow for a custom car more money than taste look? Huh? huh? Come on? You know you are thinking about it! Every time you inhale seeing that white dot turn neon blue! Pretty cool!

View attachment 27843
Ideally it would be a white dot made from Ivory since this is a Dunhill from the 1920s. I don't smoke my pipes in total darkness so there is no need for a stem that glows in the dark.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Ideally it would be a white dot made from Ivory since this is a Dunhill from the 1920s. I don't smoke my pipes in total darkness so there is no need for a stem that glows in the dark.
Fun bit of experimentation regarding the “ivory” dot:

Reactions: bottils and jhowell

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Fun bit of experimentation regarding the “ivory” dot:

I stand corrected. I wonder where the ivory dot story got started.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just a side note we may remember how it went with my Castello Collection of which I managed to snap the tenon and eventually I sent it over to their factories in Cantu Italy, instead of replacing the tenon they made a whole new stem for 60-70e, it was pretty nice looking, very well finished, but again, not 100% perfect match to the original

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Speaking of Dunhill myths, there isn't a pipe made in England, or stamped made in England, that hasn't been passed off (mostly by hints and implications) as a Dunhill second. I bought a Britannia with that sales pitch, but I knew better, and it's a good pipe, but no Dunhill second.

Reactions: mingc

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Speaking of Dunhill myths, there isn't a pipe made in England, or stamped made in England, that hasn't been passed off (mostly by hints and implications) as a Dunhill second. I bought a Britannia with that sales pitch, but I knew better, and it's a good pipe, but no Dunhill second.
The "World of Seconds" is a bit of a swamp. Definitions and semantics make it that way.

There's no doubt that there were Dunhill "seconds" in the sense that bowls culled by them for aesthetic reasons weren't destroyed, but ended up in the hands of makers whose brands sold for less and were less fussy about their wood.

There is no consistency about who that was, though. There has never been a Dunhill-owned "outlet brand". Whoever wanted to buy a batch could do so.

Interestingly, most premium brands did have lower quality "sub brands," and the connection was well known. It was a more common practice than not, in fact. In principle, all wood was delivered to the top outfit, reject blocks were carried down the street to the minus one operation, their rejects were sent to the minus two operation, and so on.

A few pipe companies, Peterson's being the best known of them, put their one and only name on every quality level, and made sure everyone understood there was a hierarchy. That their line names weren't just different finishes, but reflected quality as well.

Interestingly, in marketing terms, Dunhill's choice was easily the winner. The price and prestiege of Peterson's highest lines have always been dragged down by the ubiquity of their lowest ones; while a white dot was an unambiguous and unapologetic message to all who saw it: "Only the best" (Whether literally true or not is beside the point. We're talking marketing, here.)

Interesting stuff, all of it.

Without a doubt, if time machines were real, I'd make a beeline for early 20th century England to be a part of what the next fifty years would bring in pipe and tobacco terms. (Not so much the two big wars, though. I'd set the controls to dodge that, somehow.)

Something tells me I'd run into Jon Guss and Jessie already there, doing the same thing. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.