PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As was said, popularity.

Sandblasting a pipe is a way for a manufacturer to “erase” flaws on what might have been a smooth. However it does add cost and lowers the margin on a particular piece of wood. The cost is recovered though. Beats tossing it into the furnace.

As for ring or even other sandblasts, sometimes that was the initial intention. And it can have quite a dramatic look as opposed to a smooth.

I generally lean towards smooths with dramatic grain. Probably 25% of my pipes are sandblasts.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I still think in my humble opinion a smooth dunhill should be more valuable than a sandblasted dunhill. But it shows time and time again that I am wrong. That’s why I asked in the first place. My intention isn’t to say smooth is better than sandblast.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Well the first sandblast dunhills that was the reason I should have said
Yes, it's easy to understand this. But in the very early days, Dunhill's only had two finishes. Smooth in Bruyere & blasts called Shell Briar. The briar for the blasts were selected because they were thought to give better grain patterns after blasting.
I for one prefer the blasted finishes, especially so the Ring Grains.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I still think in my humble opinion a smooth dunhill should be more valuable than a sandblasted dunhill. But it shows time and time again that I am wrong. That’s why I asked in the first place. My intention isn’t to say smooth is better than sandblast.
I would agree with you Mike, it certainly holds true with newer pipes, DR & Flame Grains, way more expensive than blasts and anything else for that matter.
I have a Dunhill's 120, that suits blasting very well. There appears to have been a knot in the briar. Now not a flaw per se, but it would not be suitable for straight grain, however give it a sand blast and "Hey Presto!" you've got an interesting blast grain pattern. At least I think it is.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Yes, it's easy to understand this. But in the very early days, Dunhill's only had two finishes. Smooth in Bruyere & blasts called Shell Briar. The briar for the blasts were selected because they were thought to give better grain patterns after blasting.
I for one prefer the blasted finishes, especially so the Ring Grains.
Yes and the ruby sandblast I think are really nice.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I would agree with you Mike, it certainly holds true with newer pipes, DR & Flame Grains, way more expensive than blasts and anything else for that matter.
I have a Dunhill's 120, that suits blasting very well. There appears to have been a knot in the briar. Now not a flaw per se, but it would not be suitable for straight grain, however give it a sand blast and "Hey Presto!" you've got an interesting blast grain pattern. At least I think it is.
I believe the rusticated Peterson’s are their very flawed briars now. Same with savinellis. But as I said the most beautiful pipe I’ve ever seen was a rusticated upshall.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I believe the rusticated Peterson’s are their very flawed briars now. Same with savinellis. But as I said the most beautiful pipe I’ve ever seen was a rusticated upshall.
Don't confuse rusticated with sand blasting. Not wanting to come across as patronizing.
Most times rustication is done by using a bull-nose drill or milling cutter and gouging wood from the briar. I beleive Peterson is employing this method for rustications now, since they appear to be way different from previous pipes.
Castello's Sea Rock is done by hand by the maker using a multi pointed awl (for want of a better word) and digging out the wood from the briar by hand. Because the tool used has sharp points, it produces the fantastic and tactile sea rock finish.
Sand blasting is done by high pressure sand being blown onto the briar, where it removes the softer wood from between the harder rings, giving in some cases the beautiful ring grain pattern we see.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
My favorite sand blast, that I have so far seen, is my Dunhill's 6013 and get this, it's not even been given the designation of Ring Grain. Go figure!

Attachments

• IMG_5109.JPG
    IMG_5109.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5110.JPG
    IMG_5110.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5111.JPG
    IMG_5111.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5112.JPG
    IMG_5112.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5113.JPG
    IMG_5113.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Commander McBragg
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
That’s really nice. Did you say earlier you have 120 dunhills? Holy cow. I bet some have great story’s they could tell
I don't own 120 Dunhill's. I don't own 120 pipes.
But I do own two Dunhill's shape 120.

I bought one from a member on here, really pleased with it. Smokes great too. It's a 1961.
And I just bought a NOS from 1967, so being NOS never smoked. Actually, it was from a private collection, but never smoked. Haven't received it yet.

Reactions: Commander McBragg

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
It's not on my radar. I haven't really considered it.
There was one posted on the forum just lately, but don't remember if it was for sale, or just show & tell
The price was right that’s why I considered it. But the shape just wasn’t doing anything for me. I was curious what you thought

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I don't own 120 Dunhill's. I don't own 120 pipes.
But I do own two Dunhill's shape 120.

I bought one from a member on here, really pleased with it. Smokes great too. It's a 1961.
And I just bought a NOS from 1967, so being NOS never smoked. Actually, it was from a private collection, but never smoked. Haven't received it yet.
Oh. Ha! Shape 120. Sorry. I was thinking holy cow. I don’t own even twenty pipes. Sorry for the confusion