PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
More and more I’m seeing dunhill sandblasted pipes going for more than smooth. These are all pre 90’s. I always thought smooth dunhills were more valuable vs sandblast. As the briar had flaws in it and thus the reason they sandblasted it. But I’m seeing estate sandblast dunhills on SmokingPipes and eBay go for lots more than smooth. Does anyone know the why?

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
More and more I’m seeing dunhill sandblasted pipes going for more than smooth. These are all pre 90’s. I always thought smooth dunhills were more valuable vs sandblast. As the briar had flaws in it and thus the reason they sandblasted it. But I’m seeing estate sandblast dunhills on SmokingPipes and eBay go for lots more than smooth. Does anyone know the why?
I think that in an state pipe the shell finish survived better over time. That finish always looks new. But I don't know nothing, I'm the JonSnow of pipes

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Change in popularity.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I guess I’m old school. I always thought smooth pretty grain was something someone would rather have vs sandblast. i just have been looking and keep seeing this trend in more than just dunhills. Was just curious

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Possibly even still then. Noticing that a standout in the crowd sells would have been in Alfred Dunhill's marketing prowess.
From what I read is if there was a flaw in the briar and sandblast could remove the flaw they’d keep it. If sandblast couldn’t remove the flaw they’d toss or very early on mark it as a second. But this is only what I read. I know nothing more. So I guess I misspoke. It wasn’t flawed after the fact.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I guess I’m old school. I always thought smooth pretty grain was something someone would rather have vs sandblast. i just have been looking and keep seeing this trend in more than just dunhills. Was just curious
Blasts still show the grain, just of the hardwood. A lot of artisans are getting higher and higher demands for the blasts. Given the choice between smooth or a ring blast, ring blast will win with me. Smooth pipes just have no tactile appeal.

20220704_121320.jpg

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Yes that’s a very beautiful pipe. I find as I get older I do like more sandblast pipes. I saw there was an early upshall that was sandblasted and I must admit it was the most beautiful pipe I’ve ever seen. In the end it went for nearly $500 so way out of my price range. I just see new factory pipes the smooth is always more. But the estates the sandblast are going higher. Just was curious

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Frankly, mucch of the Dunhill smooths are pretty average for grain, not really all that striking. But their sandblasts, especially the earlier craggy ones, have always been much in demand because they're much more visually interesting.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Yes that’s a very beautiful pipe. I find as I get older I do like more sandblast pipes. I saw there was an early upshall that was sandblasted and I must admit it was the most beautiful pipe I’ve ever seen. In the end it went for nearly $500 so way out of my price range. I just see new factory pipes the smooth is always more. But the estates the sandblast are going higher. Just was curious
Are you looking for a sandblasted Dunhill, or just a nicely blasted pipe?

Reactions: Commander McBragg

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Look for misspellings. Here's two I used to have that bad spelling cost the seller a bit of money.

$20
View attachment 162798

$120
View attachment 162799
Oh Man. You are lucky. My cheapest was $90. But boy did I have a job getting it in good shape. The most expensive I’ve paid is $200. I only have 7. My first was my birth year one. i used to be really into Peterson’s but came to the thinking that for what I was paying for new Peterson’s and savinellis I could get some really nice estates. So my new collection are pre 80’s Comoy’s, upshalls and dunhill

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
This thread has drifted from Dunhills to the the subject of blasted and that's ok.

I my case I only own 2 smooth briars I can think of. The rest are blasted or textured like the Searock finish. Unlike many pipe guys I like the textured finish better than smooth for a few reasons. They are cooler on the hand when smoking, they grip better in your hand so you don't drop them as easily and finally I'm not paying for something (fine grain) that doesn't make the pipe smoke any better. Finally, and this is just a personal thing, as they age smooth pipes simply look older whereas textured pipes just get more character. I love my old, dull, black Searocks and wouldn't dream of polishing them up. They're great just the way they are. puffy

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
This thread has drifted from Dunhills to the the subject of blasted and that's ok.

I my case I only own 2 smooth briars I can think of. The rest are blasted or textured like the Searock finish. Unlike many pipe guys I like the textured finish better than smooth for a few reasons. They are cooler on the hand when smoking, they grip better in your hand so you don't drop them as easily and finally I'm not paying for something (fine grain) that doesn't make the pipe smoke any better. Finally, and this is just a personal thing, as they age smooth pipes simply look older whereas textured pipes just get more character. I love my old, dull, black Searocks and wouldn't dream of polishing them up. They're great just the way they are. puffy
Well I must admit with my smoothed pipes I tend to focus on the shine. Like I have a few Sherlock Peterson’s and they don’t hold a shine for nothing and it really gets me. But a sandblasted I don’t focus on any but the smoke. So I tend to agree with you. Second as I am getting older I tend to buy more sandblasted as well. I just bought two Vauen as the sandblast really looked great.