Dunhill Nomenclature (Numbers Added to Patent No.?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Calling @forciori and friends!!!!

Anyone know what's up with the "-78" that seems to be stamped after the patent number on this pipe?

The rest of the nomenclature (including the shape/tube size not in the picture) seem to fit what I've researched and is quite explicable, but I can't figure out this -78 at all.

Anyone have any idea? Thanks for any help!

Dunhill Odd Nomenclature.jpg

Reactions: lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I had one like that...I think I was informed that they were not original to the pipe, like they were stamped in a retailer. That may be wrong (and sounds strange to me), but I think that’s what I was told. If @forciori doesn’t already know, I’m sure he will be able to get an answer for you!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
So it begs the question, when was the pipe made...?

According to the rest of the nomenclature, using the pipehil dating key, 1943.

I had one like that...I think I was informed that they were not original to the pipe, like they were stamped in a retailer. That may be wrong (and sounds strange to me), but I think that’s what I was told. If @forciori doesn’t already know, I’m sure he will be able to get an answer for you!

This is the only thing even close I found in researching the articles about "Secondary Stampings" on pipedia. Either a distribution stamp for a retailer, or a price stamp, but in the patent era 78 for a price can't possibly be right, unless it is some kind of code or a non-UK/US currency.

Reactions: lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
According to the rest of the nomenclature, using the pipehil dating key, 1943.

This is the only thing even close I found in researching the articles about "Secondary Stampings" on pipedia. Either a distribution stamp for a retailer, or a price stamp, but in the patent era 78 for a price can't possibly be right, unless it is some kind of code or a non-UK/US currency.
Yes 1943 for sure...quick way to tell is it is lacking the possessive “s” on “Dunhill.” ??

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Yes, just making sure. The -78 I have no idea.

A Hypothetical WWII Pipe - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/A_Hypothetical_WWII_Pipe

What shape is it...35?
The WWII pipes do not have a date at all.

18524422-orig.jpg

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Dunhill has been so kind to us information freaks that we get spoiled haha! There’s so much that can be told by their nomenclature that when something like this pops up, it’s enough to drive me nuts!

My friend owns 2 1920s Bruyeres that use an LO9 shape code. The only two we’ve ever seen. They’re basically larger 120s, a lot like LCs, but they don’t show up in catalogues and as far as we know, Loring never made mention of them. Mysteries!

I have a Patent Shell that has a ? stamp on it, which to my knowledge, was only used on smooth pipes to indicate superior grain. Can’t figure out how it ended up on a Shell.

Given the vast quantity of pipes produced, errors are to be expected...but some seem too strange to be errors.

I have seen (and possibly owned?) another Shell stamped with the -(number) anomaly. The mystery drives me crazy while at the same time makes me appreciate the pipe more, haha.

Is this yours or is it a potential purchase?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
"The WWII pipes do not have a date at all."

Well, that is my other theory, made during the war, and the horn stem replaced by Dunhill in 1953. Beyond that...never say never, there was a war on man!:)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Dunhill has been so kind to us information freaks that we get spoiled haha! There’s so much that can be told by their nomenclature that when something like this pops up, it’s enough to drive me nuts!

My friend owns 2 1920s Bruyeres that use an LO9 shape code. The only two we’ve ever seen. They’re basically larger 120s, a lot like LCs, but they don’t show up in catalogues and as far as we know, Loring never made mention of them. Mysteries!

I have a Patent Shell that has a ? stamp on it, which to my knowledge, was only used on smooth pipes to indicate superior grain. Can’t figure out how it ended up on a Shell.

Given the vast quantity of pipes produced, errors are to be expected...but some seem too strange to be errors.

I have seen (and possibly owned?) another Shell stamped with the -(number) anomaly. The mystery drives me crazy while at the same time makes me appreciate the pipe more, haha.

Is this yours or is it a potential purchase?

Fully agree. I have one more Dunhill with an anomaly, it's stamped as a shape 743, but is likely a 143. Although the brain often makes me see just enough shape difference to question it, hahaha.

The pipe in this thread is on it's way to me.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Maybe the horn stem was replaced in 1978?

This was another plausible theory I looked into, since the stem looks to be a Dunhill but definitely appears to be vulcanite, which from what I've read about war era pipes is extremely unlikely. But then of course I found articles with statements from Dunhill prior to 78 saying they don't change the stamping on pipes for repairs anymore. Conflicting info, it burns the brain!!!!!

Reactions: dmcmtk

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
116A99AA-2122-4DFF-9A34-1DF89276DC0A.jpeg
BINGO! Knew it!

This is my 1943 Bulldog and juuuust to the left of the Dunhill stamping is a sideways -23 !

Interesting! Same year as yours. Fun fun!

Reactions: dmcmtk
Status
Not open for further replies.