PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome pipe for sure, that wind cap for smoking underway in that nifty sailboat he had, which is at the JFK library on display. Handsome little cabin sailor. Nice the boat wasn't some fat monster or over-rigged racer. I'm not a JFK believer per se, but I admire some of the good things he did. As a school kid, I used to enjoy coming home to his press conferences, which have never been exceeded for deft responses and a ready wit. Even in junior high, I knew I was hearing platform work at a high level.

Reactions: spike and 3rdguy

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
At $5K it is something to wonder about as I just don't have that kind of money to spend on a pipe. And the tacky cap makes it even less desirable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhill/White Spot takes it as a point of honor to price things beyond all scruples. If a pipe is not tagged at least twice its value under another name, they send it to the crusher. If you don't have a startled intake of air when you look at the price of one of their pipes, they are simply not doing their job. If they made corn cob pipes, they would start at $900 USD. But there is a demographic that shops for just this purpose, to buy things, no matter what, that others can't afford. That is the joy and purpose of a purchase. Meantime, I am always amazed at how well my Yello-Bole smokes. ?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Two dead people involved and I guess it's too mean to make fun of them. But what the hell. Norma Jeane was much prettier and I heard JFK got her for free.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another crap exposure/poor lighting. Stem under exposed, bowl with specular highlights. I'd buy it for $200.

GALLERY_DETAIL_1600092750_Dunhill-pipe-D388A.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Kennedy is said to have been one of our better presidents. To me the pipe is a another greedy ploy by Dunhill to capitalize on his heritage and the eternal myth that Dunhill means excellence. What it really means today is machine-made pipes selling for twice their value, somehow still propelled by the great blowhard Alfred and the legions of pipe smokers all too ready to salute to that limp flag.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Dunhill pipes are not as overpriced as some of their other offerings. While waiting for my wife at the airport in Sao Paulo, I walked into a shop just to see if they had pipes.

They didn't.

But they had wallets, suits, belt buckles, ties, and who knows what else that makes a Dunhill pipe look like an afterthought to the whole ensemble.

And yes, I have a couple of Dunhill pipes. They serve the purpose I bought them for. Next time I'm passing through there, I'll see if they have any commemorative socks with former presidents. I'll bet they're not far off the price of that pipe...

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Before 1965 Dunhill made pipes with a well-founded reputation for excellence. Imagine to have such a shop but then begin sacrificing quality for profit, and this especially more tragic given the years of effort needed to achieve this.

It's easy to do things wrong and very difficult to do them with excellence.