PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I would much rather another major blender's return. But that won't happen. I'm glad newer smokers will get to try these as well, and I welcome dark and light flake's return.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You're golden. Just wait for the inevitable debate on what changes were made and which version of Dunhill is best

:rofl:

You’re absolutely right and as logic rarely plays a role in this, it won’t matter that it’s still produced by STG, the deciding factor will be that the tins have changed therefore the blends must have as well.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
So right, Dave.
This reminds me of what Troels Mikkelsen said when Orlik took over production of Capstan Flake. Orlik utilized the tins and labels leftover from the Liverpool factory and never received a complaint; but when they started using their own labels, complaints about the Orlik version started coming in. [Source: Orlik Factory Tour video.]

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
Good news indeed! I’m still sitting on some tins of Light Flake from the last time Dunhill disappeared around 2008 and feared never to return (I’m not complaining about decade old tins, it all worked out!).
How about Dunn’s Hill tobacco?

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Actually, they just bought the rights to 3/5 ths or so of the tin art.
The FDA's got dibs on the rest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree the versions of these blends with the Dunhill on the label will still be sold for premium prices. When I'm popping a few of these old tins, it will be tempting to buy and compare the new with the old. Then there's the additional aging, that year's crop, the quality of the storage, etc. Of course the current/previous owners of the blends weren't going to let them fade into history where there was still a dollar/Euro value to them. It just doesn't happen.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
And all those who were hoarding Dunhill blends hoping to make a large profit in a couple of years are now crying.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And all those who were hoarding Dunhill blends hoping to make a large profit in a couple of years are now crying.
Why? The new tins won't have the Dunhill name on them. And, pipe smokers will assume they're not the same, even if they are. SO those tins of ersatz Dunhill will be worth money regardless.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So STG bought the blend names and presumably the blending rights. Otherwise, it's more baloney.
I knew that STG had made attempts to buy the brands last year, but had also heard that they had been turned down. I guess giving up on any rights to the Dunhill name did the trick.

Oct 7, 2016
Of course the current/previous owners of the blends weren't going to let them fade into history where there was still a dollar/Euro value to them. It just doesn't happen.
From the press release, “The price paid is confidential, but immaterial.”

Jun 9, 2018
England
I wonder what will happen to the Charatan match blends now? It's good news for me as I've missed the Navy Rolls and only have 2 tins left in the cellar, we don't get Escudo in the UK so when DNR went the way of the dodo there wasn't really an alternative.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.