Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Haha, I guess my little stockpile of Dunhill blends might not be so special after all. That's ok, this is good news.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Haha, I guess my little stockpile of Dunhill blends might not be so special after all.
You're golden. Just wait for the inevitable debate on what changes were made and which version of Dunhill is best. :puffpipe:

youdancer

Lurker
Sep 19, 2016
That's just made my day. Couldn't afford to go to deep, and really enjoying my dwindling supplies...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Looks like BAT blinked. That is good news for people who enjoyed these particular clones. At least these should be the same as the stuff STG was putting out before. Fans will be able to enjoy them for a couple more years before the FDA Rules force them out of the US market. And if STG coughs up the money to pay for the Deeming or SE certs, then Dunhill branded tobaccos could be here indefinitely.
Look like ultimately MSO was right after all.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah ... sorry didn't notice that workman started the thread a bit before me:
here is the link I have found
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/07/03/1877811/0/en/Scandinavian-Tobacco-Group-A-S-acquires-premium-pipe-tobacco-brands.html
Kevin posted this just before closing the other thread
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/scandinavian-tobacco-group-acquires-premium-115800007.html
I guess it's for real this time, we'll see how this materializes.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I've updated information:

UPDATE: Announced July 3rd. STG has acquired Dunhill pipe tobacco brands.
I reached out to Leonard Wortzel at STG for a bit more information and he let me know they have the rights to all the brand names such as nightcap or 965 as well as the tin art. They just can't use the word "Dunhill". Stay tuned for more information as the true Dunhill blends are coming back.
"Essentially. We’ll be replacing “Dunhill” with another, existing brand. Can’t quite announce that name yet. Instead of “Dunhill” Nightcap, it will be “Brand X” Nightcap." - Leonard
I've included this on my blog post.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, guys. I said this was going to happen, one way or another. So when I natter away, once in a while I may have a point. Glad to hear it. Now we can all relax, on this subject.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, so did I, but as the Dunhill star set decades ago, they (the successor companies) are just cashing in on the cachet of the name. Ring-a-ding! $$$. Mediocre stuff.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sablebrush: if you'll remember, I told you this a while back. The only surprise is that it's taken this long to announce it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ooh! A Name Contest!
Dump Fill

Dumb Pill

Dull Swill
Or, as has been suggested, White Spot, but with a picture of a tongue with a cold sore on it.
Really, I’m glad this worked out for STG. It’s also reassuring that the blends will return just as they were. Or just as they were after STG totally changed them. Or something like that.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I guess it matters less if they call the brand Dunhill or not, as long as the recipes are the same. If they change the recipes, well ... that's the true problem right there.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
woodsroad myeah ... you are right, but yet another change will make them loose in value all together. To that end it won't even matter if they keep the name Night Cap consistent, if the content of the tin is changed every time they change manufacturer. Is there at least a distant resemblance, for say, between Dunhill original Elisabethan and the K&K recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.