PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeman1972

Lurker
Jul 20, 2020
Good afternoon esteemed fellow pipe men. I recently bought a lovely little Dunhill from a well known online auction site for just over £20. To say I was chuffed would be an understatement.

It had plainly been left to fend for itself for a few years as the stem was oxidised and full of gunk, spiders web in the bowl, bowl needed reaming etc. Having carried out basic restoration on a number of estates I own, this wasn’t a problem and I spent a few quiet hours bringing this little beauty back from the dead. On closer inspection, someone, at some point had tried to fit an inner tube into the shank and had got the thing wedged in so this needed careful drilling out.

Work completed, I filled the bowl full of my favourite English mixture and the pipe smokes beautifully, right up until the point where the bowl gets too hot. I’ve used pipe mud to re line the bowl but alas to no avail. It’s still a hot smoker. I’ve been a pipe smoker for about 5 years now and thought I had got past the phase of puffing away until the bowl became like an industrial furnace.

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated. This pipe plainly has years of pleasure still to give and I don’t want to consign it to a life as a pipe rack ornament just yet. Many thanks in advance. Adrian.

Reactions: yanoJL

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Of course the bowl will be hot. Its a Group 1, there's not much meat around the chamber!

Reactions: niblicck

Pipeman1972

Lurker
Jul 20, 2020
Guys, thanks for the replies so far. Very much appreciated. I will take some pics in a few days ( I work away from home). It really is a lovely little pipe and being honest, I hadn’t considered drying the tobacco or the thickness of the bowl. Food for thought.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Guys, thanks for the replies so far. Very much appreciated. I will take some pics in a few days ( I work away from home). It really is a lovely little pipe and being honest, I hadn’t considered drying the tobacco or the thickness of the bowl. Food for thought.
I have a group 2 Dunhill root briar which use to get hot almost every time I smoke it

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
After smoking Group 1 and 2 (predominantly) for years I can say the thickness of the bowl is mostly inconsequential. I've had pipes with half inch thick chambers that got too hot to hold.

Smoking outside will heat up bowls much quicker than smoking indoors.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Good afternoon esteemed fellow pipe men. I recently bought a lovely little Dunhill from a well known online auction site for just over £20. To say I was chuffed would be an understatement.

It had plainly been left to fend for itself for a few years as the stem was oxidised and full of gunk, spiders web in the bowl, bowl needed reaming etc. Having carried out basic restoration on a number of estates I own, this wasn’t a problem and I spent a few quiet hours bringing this little beauty back from the dead. On closer inspection, someone, at some point had tried to fit an inner tube into the shank and had got the thing wedged in so this needed careful drilling out.

Work completed, I filled the bowl full of my favourite English mixture and the pipe smokes beautifully, right up until the point where the bowl gets too hot. I’ve used pipe mud to re line the bowl but alas to no avail. It’s still a hot smoker. I’ve been a pipe smoker for about 5 years now and thought I had got past the phase of puffing away until the bowl became like an industrial furnace.

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated. This pipe plainly has years of pleasure still to give and I don’t want to consign it to a life as a pipe rack ornament just yet. Many thanks in advance. Adrian.
Smoke it during winter.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
@Davy and @OverMountain are correct, and I will also add to this that the Dublin shape by nature can create a heat issue in general. As the bowl progresses downward, toward the shank, it gets narrower, and this is the area that suffers most from the anemic amount of wood present. I was never particularly fond of this shape, but the one or two I did have always had this problem, and that just sealed the deal for me. I've always liked shapes that offered good heat resistance throughout the bowl, like authors.