PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I agree that I think that Dunhill, whether liked or not, is a staple and someone will pick up the recipes/rights. I would think that as long as the recipe is followed as best as possible the FDA will leave them alone. They are old blends. Yes, if they renamed anything, blend names or producer name they would more than likely be screwed but why reproduce Dunhill with different names or even different labeling. Either way, I am stocking up slowly but surely.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Something that keeps popping in my head whenever I see these threads, is that there seems to be this repeated assumption that the FDA will make or break blends regardless of where they are made. I think perhaps we should consider that the USA is far from the only market for Dunhill blends, and so it may remain a profitable venture for STG(should they acquire and continue making the blends) regardless of our FDA nonsense.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
I wonder when I should place that last Dunhill order. I want to avoid what I went through with the McClelland stampede.
The reason I'm not stocking up on Dunhill right now is that I'm broke because of...err...the McClelland stampede.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Badbeard, of course the production of dunhill is not tied to the US market. It may be possible to order from europe in the future. But it is also possible to have shipments here seized. I used to buy cartons of cigarettes from Switzerland after they outlawed internet sales. The ATF seized an entire cargo plane full on the JFK runway. Instead of my cigs, I received a souvenir warning letter from the ATF.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I am with ya @elvergun I am goint to try to make smaller consistent orders of Dunhill after I recuperate from the McClelland ordeal.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I don't smoke much Dunhill but the two I do are some of my absolute favorites--Flake and Nightcap. I think I can find substitutes for Flake, but Nightcap....that's special. I've had GLP Quiet Nights and it's just not the same. I've read that Ashton's Artisans Blend comes close but I've never tried it.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
That one's on the chopping block as well.
79555229.jpg

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Artisan's Blend is going to be discontinued?
I don't see why unless Ashton goes belly up. It is blended by Kohlhase & Kopp and was reviewed in 2005 on tobaccoreviews.

Only 3 of the 19 Ashton blends ;listed were made by McClelland. The majority is made by K&K or Orlik.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Well S**T. Artisan's blend is my secret under the radar blend. It's one of my all time favorites. I've been quietly cellaring it for the past year. And they had some in stock yesterday at SPC. Now this post comes along and bam, it's all out of stock. WOW, this is getting scary how fast the stock is flying these days. Scary really. Lucky that I have plenty of Artisan's already, but still ... want/need more.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I think the lack of Syrian latakia has something to do with it...
AhhhhThanks R.....I didn't catch that it had syrian....maybe it will morph into "Ashton Vintage Latakia Artisan Blend".

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
I think the lack of Syrian latakia has something to do with it...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/rip-ashtons-artisan-blend
Well, according to that thread, K&K kinda-sorta admitted that they are now using Cyprian latakia...so if it is being discontinued, it seems that Syrian latakia is not the reason.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Well, according to that thread, K&K kinda-sorta admitted that they are now using Cyprian latakia...so if it is being discontinued, it seems that Syrian latakia is not the reason.
I didn't say it WAS the reason...disappearance of the blend has been a discussion for at least a year now. We can speculate and split hairs all day long. In the meantime, blends and blending houses disappear. You like it? Stock up or shut up. No animosity intended just realism. :puffpipe:

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Hahah! No sugar coating.... yup if you like it stock up now!
BTW Tobbacopipes has them in stock now. Love the free shipping too!

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
I didn't say it WAS the reason...disappearance of the blend has been a discussion for at least a year now. We can speculate and split hairs all day long.
I didn't say YOU said it was the reason.
You like it? Stock up or shut up. No animosity intended just realism.
No? You are a real charmer then.
Jeez, people seem to be on edge nowadays.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Possibilty of Artisans going away will be a real travisty! I am not a Latikia smoker but I always have a tin open on hand. It is my change of pace blend. It has this certain je ne sais quoi! It blows NightCap away in flavor and presentation imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.