PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcasey

Lurker
May 12, 2015
Just tested Dunhill 965 for the first time...
My first attempt at a non-aromatic did not go so well with the wife. It didn't pass the sniff test out of the tin and she gagged on the room note. I didn't like the smell of it at first in the tin (kinda reminds me of copenhagen dip. I was once a dipper many moons ago). However, I rather enjoyed the smoke. I only smoked half a bowl really slow just to test the waters and it went pretty well. I can only describe it as "a campfire in my mouth". Which was fine. Kinda smokey, spicey and sweet at different times.
I'm assuming it was the Latakia that my wife didn't like? I need some help picking another english blend that will pass the sniff test if anyone can please help. I would like to give it another go.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Try some Hearth & Home Marquee Cerberus! The wife will love it!!!(Just kidding. It's the only blend I lit up and the wife said it smelled like shit.) :twisted:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Latakia won't get you far around the females but it will get them far away. In the case of us married men who love Latakia it's strictly an out of doors smoke, like way outdoors.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
My wife refers to my beloved Dunhill blends by the generic term "dung-hill". It is a nearly universal problem I'm afraid.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
965 is pretty strong. Dunhill's London Mixture is gentler. Someone else will have to comment on the Latakia content. I'm new to tobaccos, myself.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
That's the problem, wcasey. The English blend is defined by its inclusion of Latakia. There are some blends that claim to be English without Latakia but I haven't tried them.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
My wife has just commented on the Dunhill Standard Mixture I'm having with my coffee and requested I remove the storm windows and install the screens.She has no complaints with my Arose, happy wife, happy life

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are various non-aromatic blends without Latakia, particularly burley blends and Virginia and Virginia/Perique, that you might try, and your wife might evaluate. If you want an English blend with light Latakia flavoring for the same sort of trial, you might try Nat Sherman 536, which is the most refined English blend I know, or Sutliff Westminster or Altadis Fox and Hound, for thriftier blends. Milder blends will have less pronounced room notes. Anything robust will be distinct to the sniffer.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My wife actually likes the tin note of Black House (we're both fans of peaty Scotch whiskeys and Lapsang Souchon tea), but she's less than enthusiastic about either the room note (not that I've ever smoked it indoors) or the "mustache note" left on my person. In fact, she refers to the entire genre as "Stinky Englishes" (even though a few are technically Balkans...), and prefers to mow the front lawn if I'm smoking one while doing yard work in the back. :D

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a huge fan of MM965 and it is my daily smoke. Much to the chagrin of my wife...it just doesn't smell appealing to non-smokers. When folks learn that I smoke a pipe, they always say something to the effect of "I love the way a pipe smells". Then "ugh" when I light up.
I think the Brown Cavendish in MM965 separates it from other Latakia blends (lots of blenders use Black Cavendish). I also like the ribbon cut, which burns so nicely. If that is all I had to smoke, I'd be quite happy.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I cracked a tin of 965 the other day and found that it wasnt sweet enough for me. It's a really good tobacco though. It burns nice. Easy on the tongue. Tastes very nutty. I added a pinch of Frog Morton Cellar and love it.

wcasey

Lurker
May 12, 2015
mso489, I've decided to go down the road of Burley as you suggested to see where that might take me. Nothing fancy to start, I got a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh regular to test the waters.
I purchased it during lunch today and will smoke a bowl this evening after work.
I must say, the pouch smell really reminds me of my Grandpa and Uncle who were both pipe smokers. I'm sure they probably had this in their rotation. living in the country back in the 70's I'm most certainly sure that their only choices were drugstore brands.
How is the room note for SWR? I've read some reviews where people say it's pleasant and others say it smells like cigarettes.

Mar 1, 2014
I've tried to llove the Dunhills, but they can't replace Star of the East, it just seems like a much more pure campfire, much more up my alley.

wcasey

Lurker
May 12, 2015
Well, I guess I'll put the Dunhill 965 on the back burner for now or possibly try and trade with someone :)
I just finished smoking a half bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh Regular after dinner. I used my viking that I found at the antique mall over the weekend (I really like the way it feels, light weight and smokes great for only $7 bucks). The SWR was a pretty darn good smoke for me! This was the first time I burned down to the bottom of the bowl. I wasn't expecting it because at first I thought I heard gurgling and figured I had juice built up, but then I heard it again and it was the flame crackling near the bottom of the bowl. It freaking smoked like a chimney compared to the other stuff I've been smoking which was pretty nice. No tongue bite and no sour moisture at the end. I sat it down once to use the bathroom and came back to find it still fired up! Overall it was a great first bowl. Damn this is fun! :)

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I would get rid of the wife. You have to ask yourself who is the head of the household. Grow a pair or stop smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.