PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
58 years ago 965 was my second favorite tobacco, after Sobranie white label. It was quite different from today's version; more mellow, refined and subtle, though it was a stronger Lat mix than Sobranie. I put away a lot of it and hope it will be mellower by 2020, if I am still around.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I tried H & H Fusiliers Ration the other day and my wife said that it wasn't to bad. it's got some black Cavendish in it, which may help it out a little in the room note dept.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
You could try Oriental blends with little or no Latakia (Latakia is an Oriental cured over burning wood).
GLP Cairo, Solomon's Presbyterian, McC Grand Orientals,Lewis' Orcilla are examples.

themiska

Lurker
May 28, 2015
I totally agree, no wife would like English blends.

Smoking the pipe since 1988 I really hate all aromatics. Tobacco should taste and smell like tobacco and not like a cake or candie or fruit or what ever or, it would be like asking bourbon to taste like vanilla ice cream.Anyway, try a sample of Mc Clelland Old Dog or the Drama reserve from the Oriental line.If she complains please smoke outdoors and keep her happy.....

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Latakia is like garlic, a little or a lot, it goes front and center in the smell arena. I gave 965 a try (5 tins) as a changeoff from Nightcap. 965 is very nice but I like Nightcap better.

themiska

Lurker
May 28, 2015
Yes sir, Nightcap is way much better. I smoke 965 when I want to keep the wife happy ( she is trained ) hehehehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.