Dunhill 838 patent-era ODA (diamond shank squat bulldog)

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Castello Pipes
9 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
24 Fresh Brebbia Pipes
6 Fresh Savinelli Autograph Pipes

Recent Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnarlybriar

Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
re: Dunhill's 838 shape perfectly captures the concept "tastefully outrageous" imo. Very edgy in 2018... imagine the reaction they got in stuffy-conservative 1954!
In my opinion (tho' as George knows) I am very partial to these ODA 838's (and God has been asked to bless George for his efforts), I think that these are the most ultimately elegant of all pipes. The shape started showing up I seem to remember in the early 1900's, but in these ODA's a very artistic person designed/carved such elegant proportions! I wish there were documents acknowledging such work!

saltedplug

Preferred Member
Aug 20, 2013
I like how the pipe sits in his hand. But can you yourself imagine having to wrestle with that thing? Would seem to be useful as a club, however.

gnarlybriar

Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
The above pipe (the 838) arrived today! George's work on this pipe is even better in person than you see in the pictures!

If you viewed the videos in the pipe repair section, you'll see the fine points that he sees, but I don't see (until he pointed them out). Am filling it up now for it's (new) maiden smoke!

Thank you George Dibos!

Status
Not open for further replies.