Dunhill 838 patent-era ODA (diamond shank squat bulldog)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnarlybriar

Might Stick Around
Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
re: Dunhill's 838 shape perfectly captures the concept "tastefully outrageous" imo. Very edgy in 2018... imagine the reaction they got in stuffy-conservative 1954!
In my opinion (tho' as George knows) I am very partial to these ODA 838's (and God has been asked to bless George for his efforts), I think that these are the most ultimately elegant of all pipes. The shape started showing up I seem to remember in the early 1900's, but in these ODA's a very artistic person designed/carved such elegant proportions! I wish there were documents acknowledging such work!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This is KCghost smoking his all-time favorite pipe:
XWmnwal.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I like how the pipe sits in his hand. But can you yourself imagine having to wrestle with that thing? Would seem to be useful as a club, however.

gnarlybriar

Might Stick Around
Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
The above pipe (the 838) arrived today! George's work on this pipe is even better in person than you see in the pictures!

If you viewed the videos in the pipe repair section, you'll see the fine points that he sees, but I don't see (until he pointed them out). Am filling it up now for it's (new) maiden smoke!

Thank you George Dibos!

Status
Not open for further replies.